September 8, 2022
Planning Commission meeting

Public Comments

17 Comments
Joan
Joan (37934), August 15, 2022 at 2:34 PM
I am opposed to the rezoning due to negative impacts on wildlife and plants.
Robert
Robert (37934), August 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM
I agree with the staff recommendation to deny the proposed sector plan amendment to MDR (Medium Density Residential), HP (Hillside Protection), and PR (Planned Residential) zoning.
The proposed density (492 homes!) is far too high for this very steep property that does not have existing sewer. Also, the high volume of trucking traffic in combination with the estimated 4,500+ daily trips that are estimated to stem from PR development at 12 dwellings/acre could create unsafe driving conditions on narrow Palestine Lane.
Lisa
Lisa (37934), August 10, 2022 at 8:23 AM
I strongly oppose approval of this rezoning request. When we purchased our home in Saddle Ridge, adjacent to the property associated with this request, we researched what kind of development could possibly be done in the future before making our purchase decision. Our conclusions were similar, although not as complete or professional as those of the Planning Commissions staff's. The property is not suitable for building a residential community of any kind. I won't reiterate the points made in the report but just say that they speak for themselves. I don't believe that this request should be approved.
Mark
Mark (37934), August 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM
I live in the Saddle Ridge subdivision and the request should be denied based on topography, increased traffic, and proximity to a single-family subdivision resulting in a decrease in value for said homes.
Yang
Yang (37934), August 8, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Dear Planning Staff of Knox County,

As a resident of Saddle Ridge Subdivision, I want to express my disagreement on this rezoning plan. Rezoning would impact everything from unplanned impact on traffic in the access area which is off a small road just south of the Watt Rd exit of I40, to unplanned impact on the utilities that we depend on, to the impact on our schools, etc. For those of us that also would like to preserve the natural habitat, it goes without saying that there would be a significant impact on plants and wildlife.

Please consider all impacts, not only economic advantages.
Thanks,
Yang
Henry
Henry (37934), August 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM
I agree - the rezoning request should be denied.
Brian
Brian (37934), August 8, 2022 at 9:30 AM
Please deny the request for this rezoning as adding 12 residences / acre is significant increase in density and would negatively impact traffic, utilities, schools, etc. There are sufficient other locations that could be considered for this type of zoning.
Nikki
Nikki (37934), August 8, 2022 at 5:45 AM
As a parent, I am concerned with how rezoning will affect the already crowded Farragut Schools.

Rezoning would impact everything from unplanned (by the County) impact on traffic in the access area which is off a small road just south of the Watt Rd exit of I40, to unplanned impact on the utilities that we depend on. For those of us that also would like to preserve the natural habitat, it goes without saying that there would be a significant impact on plants and wildlife.
James
James (37934), August 7, 2022 at 10:06 PM
Please reject this rezoning request. It will have an adverse effect on truck stop traffic, over crowded schools and over extended utilities. Thank you.
Dayakar
Dayakar (37934), August 7, 2022 at 10:03 PM
The Trust Company that owns the property adjacent to Saddle Ridge, has submitted a request to Knox County to rezone the property from "General Commercial" to "Medium Density Residential". This is a very bad idea and should be denied. As was recommended in the rezoning report, " it does not meet the location criteria for MDR and is incompatible with adjacent land uses and topographic constraints", this request is highly inappropriate and also will significantly erode the natural habitat and plant life.
Alyson
Alyson (37934), August 7, 2022 at 8:30 PM
I would ask the Board to deny this request. As a resident of Shady Ridge Lane, this property owner’s logging has significantly removed any buffer that our street had from the adjacent property; and noise pollution has significantly increased due to the lack of mature trees. Allowing this type of development would also diminish the value of the homes along our street.

Please seriously review and consider the comments made by staff and consider as well the fact that this property owner has not complied with the previous zoning requirements by wholly removing the buffer that was required. While development on this property may be appropriate, to allow multi-family housing at the number of houses per acre proposed is inconsistent with the nature of the surrounding property.

Sincerely,
Alyson Dyer
Susan
Susan (37934), August 7, 2022 at 8:07 PM
Hello,
I am urging you not to rezone the land adjacent to Saddle Ridge neighborhood. It would be an increased risk of fire, destruction of important habitat, and an increase in traffic on roads that are not built to handle that amount of traffic. Thank you.
Philip
Philip (37934), August 7, 2022 at 1:58 PM
I support the staff's recommendation to deny this request for reasons stated in the Staff Report. In addition, green space in Farragut is rapidly disappearing. As a frequent user of the greenway that passes through the area of the proposed development, I have seen deer as well as many other small animals frequenting this parcel. They would obviously be displaced by residential development further reducing their available habitat to the detriment of our environment.

As the Staff Report points out this parcel, while valuable as greenspace, is undesirable for high density residential development.
Charlene
37938
8-C-22-SP
Charlene (37938), August 3, 2022 at 3:09 PM
Mr. Grissom led me to believe he was asking the planning commission for a variance to continue operating his business and not rezoning his property to commercial. I do not object to a variance to continue to operate his business within Knox County guidelines; however, I do oppose this property, or any other property in this residential zone, being zoned as commercial. Please vote NO.
Leon and Carol
37938
8-C-22-SP
Leon and Carol (37938), August 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM
We oppose the amendment to the sector plan and rezoning to commercial. There is no reason to amend the sector plan for a 3 1/2 acre parcel. The commercial zones are several miles away. The owner has been operating this business on the property for years and stored heating/cooling units out in the open, parks his work trucks, and employee vehicles on the property. It is an eyesore. The property also shares an easement with the property behind it. This has caused some problems with trucks blocking the driveway. It seems that rezoning this to commercial will be detrimental to our property values, and what would happen if the owner decides to sell his property if it is zoned commercial?
Denise
37938
8-C-22-SP
Denise (37938), August 2, 2022 at 8:31 AM
I am not necessarily opposed to Mr Grissom operating the business with restrictions to limit the visibility of commercial vehicles, dumpster, and equipment, but as an adjacent property owner I am opposed to a commercial rezoning. If a variance is issued, we request restrictions on the business to maintain the integrity of a residential zoned area.
Philip
37938
8-C-22-SP
Philip (37938), July 29, 2022 at 9:29 AM
I would not be opposed to Mr. Grissom getting a variance or something like that but I would be opposed to rezoning this whole area. This is a nice rural area this was part of the reason I moved here in 2016.