July 11, 2024
Planning Commission meeting

Public Comments

91 Comments
Jonathan
Jonathan (37934), June 12, 2024 at 6:50 AM
I am opposed to this plan. My concerns is for the only historic neighborhood in the county. Removing the natural barriers would drastically alter the current protection we have from the heavy traffic on Concord Road. The light pollution from this project would make it harder to see the night sky, The noise from the proposed drive through would destroy the peacefulness you can experience while walking through the neighborhood or sitting on your front porch. The congestion at the entrances of the neighborhood would make it harder to get to and from our homes. It seems that the scope of this project is too large for the site and would leave little to no room for a good natural barrier between the progress of Farragut and our peaceful, historically protected neighborhood.
Separately I would like to speak a concern for all those that do not live in our neighborhood but have relatives buried in the historic cemetery that shares a direct border with this site. This is a very active cemetery and people have been buried there very recently. We lay wreaths for the veterans and people place flowers on graves. It would be shameful and maybe a little disrespectful to have to listen to someone ordering at a drive through while you are trying to visit a gravesite of someone you love.
1-L-24-RZ
Ted (60656), June 12, 2024 at 9:47 AM
We represent Sandra LLC. Please see our letter on their behalf which is attached.
Yvette
Yvette (37922), June 12, 2024 at 12:17 PM
As a resident of the Choto Area for the last 15 years, I have witnessed enormous growth which has resulted in a tremendous increase in traffic related accidents. While the roundabouts at Choto and Northshore have helped to some degree, the continual increase in residential and business approvals and builds has not. Northshore has not been widened. One flip off the non-existant shoulder and you're stuck for hours - happens a few times a year. People move to the suburbs for peace and quiet. A gas station/restaurant combo does NOT increase the serenity of the area. Quite the contrary. The proposal to build yet another gas station right in between two others is ridiculous and unnecessary. I VOTE NO!
Abby
Abby (37934), June 12, 2024 at 1:34 PM
I am submitting a comment concerning the proposed development of the gas station on Concord Rd/Campbell Station. I am a resident of the Old Concord Historic district and my property abuts the cemetery that is directly behind the proposed development. I do not feel this development is appropriate for the area. The area is residential and there are many families with young children that ride their bikes and residents that walk for exercise along the roads of Old Concord directly off of Concord Rd. There are no sidewalks in the historic community. The large, busy would lead to increased traffic through the residential area creating a hazardous situation for pedestrians and children. Secondly, the noise problem from the increased traffic from the development and removal of trees would affect the community. The increased noise from Concord Rd is already noticeable between winter season (no leaves on trees) to summer (leaves on trees to buffer the noise). The removal of the trees and the increased traffic will elevate the traffic noise. The noise would diminish the peaceful atmosphere around the cemetery where families come to visit relatives on a regular basis. Thirdly, the light pollution from the gas station would be horrible due to same reasons of tree removal leading to glaring lights. I am opposed to this development and do not feel it is right for the area for the above reasons.
Jeanne
37933
Jeanne (37933), June 12, 2024 at 1:45 PM
Please see attached document. Thank you, Jeanne Brykalski
Jeremy
Jeremy (37934), June 12, 2024 at 2:57 PM
Please see attached for my comments...
Gary
Gary (37934), June 12, 2024 at 6:28 PM
see attachment
Pamela
Pamela (37932), June 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM
I am completely and totally against routing traffic through an already established subdivision where traffic plans were not developed to handle over 900 additional vehicle trips per day. This will negatively effect my property value, diminish the tranquility of the neighborhood, render Highvue Dr completely unable to accommodate pedestrians, bicycles and other conveyances enjoyed by myself and my neighbors.

Additionally, allowing this construction will destroy standing timber lining the west side of Pellissippi Parkway. Mature oak trees and other indigenous forestry serving as sound buffer.

This will negatively impact the quality of life for the residents of Highvue Drive. I am directly impacted. Over 900 additional vehicles per day will cause hazards leaving my driveway.

I am completely against routing traffic through Highvue Dr.
Todd
Todd (37934), June 12, 2024 at 7:37 PM
I oppose the development (6-B-24-UR). As a nearby resident in historic Concord village, seems this development will negatively impact us and the recently installed & upgraded parks & greenways. I know this land is privately owned but if developed it should be done in a way that adds to our historic community and natural areas. I'm not convinced the area needs a fuel station. Every road into this area has a gas station, I count 10 within a 3-mile radius and 16 within 4 miles. In the last few weeks, when driving past the nearby Choto Weigle's, always less than 3 and multiple times not a single pump was in use. Those who know the history of the area are aware of remnants of the 3 shuttered gas stations within 500 yards of this location, it would be a shame if a 4th was added. Also seems like common sense not to put a restaurant a couple hundred yards from a sewage treatment plant. I don't think this is the right fit here. See attached for a full list of my concerns.
Dustin
Dustin (37932), June 13, 2024 at 6:43 AM
See attached comments against this proposal.
Rich
a 379
Rich (a 379), June 13, 2024 at 10:39 PM
It will completely wreck our neighborhood to route traffic via Boyington Drive into Highview Acres. Our neighborhood roads could not handle this traffic. There would also be danger to those families with small children. It really is unthinkable that our county officials would allow this. Come and see for yourself how wrong this plan would be, truly for all involved.
Ryan
Ryan (37922), June 14, 2024 at 11:00 AM
I am writing in support of this land usage and the potential addition of an EZ stop to our neighborhood (I live in Jefferson Park just down the road). I have seen the design for this store and with it's all brick facade, much improved food offerings, and strong local ownership (it is a family run business based in Maryville) would be a great addition. If this is not approved I worry that some other much larger corporate organization will come in with its cookie cutter design and make the area look like every other urban expansion. I would prefer to see a local business succeed who cares about the local area and its people versus another Weigel's or Taco Bell (which would likely pursue the land). I know I am only one person but when discussing this with my neighbors we are all in agreement.
Adam
Adam (37932), June 14, 2024 at 11:42 AM
I want to express my concern over the proposed plan to route traffic for this development through Boyington Dr. and our neighborhood.

Why was the plan changed from routing this traffic through Bob Gray? What is the plan for traffic control, road maintenance, and pedestrian safety? What is the plan for noise control from the interstate with the loss of these trees?

Adding significantly more traffic to an already established neighborhood as opposed to major road capable of handling an influx of traffic seems very short sighted. Current residents seem to be lost in the consideration of this project and the impact it will have on our neighborhood. In addition, the new traffic pattern will require new residents to weave through a neighborhood rather than making one turn off Bob Gray. This would be a deterrent to me as a buyer and I imagine others as well.

I want to be clear. I am against routing this much traffic through our neighborhood period. But especially if there's no plan to address the added stress and inconveniences to our neighborhood. Go back to the original plan and route traffic to Bob Gray, a road capable of handling this much traffic
Adam
Adam (37932), June 14, 2024 at 12:13 PM
My name is Adam Tarver and I am a homeowner on Boyington Dr. It has come to my attention that the development between our neighborhood and Pellissippi Parkway is now going to be routed through our neighborhood and street rather than Bob Gray.

This major of a development will come with an extreme traffic influx. What is the plan for traffic control and road upkeep?

Traffic flow is going to be a major problem on Bob Gray as a result as well as throughout the entire neighborhood. Our neighborhood is very family friendly and walkable as well. An influx in traffic will drastically change this. Is there any plan for side walks to ensure safety of those already living here?

Finally, our neighborhood is already close to Pellissippi. The trees create the only sound barrier between us and the interstate. What is the plan for noise management? This seems like nothing more than a way to save money and avoid the hassle of properly routing this new development onto a major road that can handle it. Those who buy in the new development will have to weave through our neighborhood to come and go. Something that to me also seems like it would be a deterrent to buyers.

I wanted to voice my concerns and give you a chance to answer some questions, but I also what to be clear. I am against routing all traffic through our existing neighborhood.
Richard
Richard (37932), June 14, 2024 at 2:37 PM

Richard
6-SB-24-C
Richard (37932), June 14, 2024 at 2:39 PM
see attachment
Howard
37917
7-J-24-RZ
Howard (37917), June 14, 2024 at 6:50 PM
Looking for more information on this request. What will the site be used for?
6-SB-24-C
Jim (37932), June 14, 2024 at 8:49 PM
How can this even be considered? Routing that much traffic through a subdivision raises all kinds of safety and privacy concerns for our subdivision. Please don't let this pass. Either deny this project or have the entrance/exit of these condos be on Bob Gray Road. Would you all like to have new condo traffic disturbing your subdivision?
Aaron
6-SB-24-C
Aaron (37932), June 15, 2024 at 10:12 PM
see attached file
Tina
Tina (37932), June 16, 2024 at 10:26 AM
Tina
6-SB-24-C
Tina (37932), June 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM
We do not feel that it would safe for that many more cars to be driving through our already established neighborhood. It will not be safe for the children or the adult that walk their dogs and such. That is way too much traffic going through a neighborhood. This would not be a very responsible decision. Lovell View and Highvue Acres
Dan (37932), June 16, 2024 at 5:16 PM
I strongly second the great comments from Pamela and Dustin. My family and all neighbors with whom I have spoken are completely opposed to creating access to the proposed development via Boyington Drive or any other route through our quiet family neighborhood. This could add more than 2,000 vehicle trips per day through our neighborhood, which is not built to handle such a heavy load of traffic. Our neighborhood has a daily high volume of children at play, walkers, dog walkers, joggers and bicyclists. Creating this access is a safety risk to all of our neighbors. I am totally opposed to routing traffic to the proposed development via Highvue Drive and Lovell View Drive.

Drew
Drew (37922), June 17, 2024 at 10:05 AM
I am writing to express my support for the proposed development of a gas station and farm-to-kitchen restaurant in our neighborhood. While I understand that some community members have reservations, I believe this project will bring significant benefits to our area.

A local gas station will reduce travel time and emissions, contributing to a more sustainable community. The farm-to-kitchen restaurant is an exciting prospect, as it aligns perfectly with our values of supporting our local community. This restaurant will not only offer fresh options but also provide a market for local farmers, fostering a stronger local economy and a sense of community.

It is also important to note that modern gas stations and restaurants can be designed with aesthetics and community integration in mind. With thoughtful planning and collaboration, this development can enhance the charm of our area rather than detract from it. For instance, the design can incorporate elements that reflect the local character of the neighborhood, creating a seamless blend of old and new.

I am confident that this development will be a positive addition to our community, providing essential services, supporting local agriculture, and contributing to our economic vitality.
Scott
Scott (37934), June 17, 2024 at 10:53 AM
I fully support the local company EZ Stop getting the land to put in a nice convenient store with restaurant. We live close by and would be a great addition.
Steve and Dori
6-SB-24-C
Steve and Dori (37932), June 17, 2024 at 12:19 PM
The proposed development of 93 condos with access into our subdivision should not be granted. My original understanding is that the access was going to be from Bob Gray Rd.

This development has gone from access to Bob Gray Rd now to Boyington Drive in our neighborhood.  It is absolutely mind blowing that it would be acceptable to give the traffic of 93 new homes, plus an additional 127 condos  from Nod Street, access  through any neighborhood, never mind your own subdivisions in which you live.

The proposed development cannot go further if the access to Bob Gray Rd doesn't work due to site distance or whatever the rule is.  This parcel was not a "future" phase of this subdivision.  The folks who purchased these homes on Boyington Dr, did so with the knowledge  that they live on a dead end road.  The many new sales in the s/d probably wouldn't have happened if families with children, trying to take advantage of the schools attached to the neighborhood, were aware that this was a possibility.

Commissioners, I would hope that this proposed development will be voted down in the meeting on July 11th by the Planning Commission.  Please help our community deny this access to our neighborhood and help us keep the 1975 and 1990  sections the way they were approved at the time.

Bailey
Bailey (37934), June 17, 2024 at 8:17 PM
I am a longtime resident of the Concord/Farragut area, and I heavily oppose the development listed for the EZ rest stop and restaurant. As a resident that has lived here for years and has helped out many times to clean and restore graves, the Masonic lodge, and other historical sites within the area, it is completely inappropriate to have such a development in the historic area of concord. The proposed site backs up directly upon the historic Masonic cemetery, which dates back to 1800 and houses many veterans. The site itself was once home to the old Concord church, which would have also been the site of pre-1800 burials. I’m not 100% confirming that there are burial sites on the land, but it is highly likely due to the history of the site/area around the site, as well as the history of Concord as a whole. I am not speaking for all residents, but to me, having a historical site such as this developed for a gas station (which isn’t needed in the area) is depressing. It would mean the permanent loss of an important site, as well as the potential permanent loss of history for the area.
John
John (37932), June 17, 2024 at 9:01 PM
Adding another subdivsion access to Bob Gray will push the traffic to unbearable levels. Bob Gray is crowded as is, will only increase the number of accidents on the road. Bob Gray is to narrow to handle another 25% in crease in traffic. Put the access on Pellissippi as the other access is, will only be 100 feet or so from the other access. My question with the increase in traffic on Bob Gray will it decrease the property value of houses on Bob Gray.

Jon (37934), June 17, 2024 at 11:19 PM
I strongly oppose the development of a EZ Stop/Resuaraunt at Northshore and Concord, It's getting Ridiculous!
Joseph
37920
7-G-24-RZ
Joseph (37920), June 18, 2024 at 9:18 AM
Thank you for considering my comments related to this rezoning request. Housing developments on John Sevier are currently going in at a fast pace, yet the infrastructure is not keeping up pace. This redevelopment request would place potentially 120 duplexes with access directly to John Sevier Hwy, adding to the difficulty already of traversing the road from current developments. I would ask that the Planning Commission consider requirements such as a traffic light to assist controlling the flow of traffic or requiring the developer to make the entrance off of Dick Ford Ln so that the traffic is funneled to a smaller feeder road rather than straight onto the highway.
Terry
Terry (37932), June 18, 2024 at 11:49 AM
see attached file for complete concerns
Terry
6-SB-24-C
Terry (37932), June 18, 2024 at 11:51 AM
see attached file for concerns
Carol
Carol (37934), June 18, 2024 at 12:54 PM
The Village of Concord is the only historic village in Knox County and as such is a treasure. The home owners here, of which I am one, love the peace and quiet, their neighbors, and their ability to safely walk the streets with their dogs, or help their toddlers learn to ride their tricycles. Nearby neighborhoods enjoy our village too, and are welcome here. Adding an EastStop gas station is an insult to the village in many ways as has been amply explained in previous comments. Actually I can't see it making a profit as there are so many similar nearby facilities. For any productive use of the property on Concord Road we would welcome small, quiet businesses. In order to preserve the integrity of our peaceful village, beloved by everyone who knows it, we require a broad barrier of original tree growth between the Masonic cemetery, and all areas of the Historic Overlay, of 35 to 50 feet, no outlet onto Second Drive which is a narrow street and part of the overlay, and no noise, light, or toxic fume pollution.
David
David (37934), June 18, 2024 at 1:27 PM
I am a member of the Old Concord Residents Association. There is an historic village ethos in Concord which we have had to defend multiples of times. It is the atmosphere of the place that is special. We all understand commercial development will happen on Concord Road. But the EZ Stop is encroaching on the village, even using one of our little streets, Second Drive, as ingress and egress. From what I can see, this development is similar to any Pilot station with a McDonald's or Wendy's attached to it. Lighting is a huge issue for us, as is noise. Also understand, that Second Drive is the only place we can safely exit onto Concord Road to Northshore. It is a very dangerous lefthand turn from Lakeridge. Everyone speeds entering or exiting the roundabout. There should be no use of Second Drive at all. Small retail and office spaces would be much safer than this high traffic project. It is my hope that EZ Stop will be respectful and responsive to our concerns.
Carol
Carol (37934), June 18, 2024 at 3:06 PM
PDF document is attached
Taylor
Taylor (37934), June 18, 2024 at 4:35 PM
Please see attachment.
Dawn
37920
1-L-24-RZ
Dawn (37920), January 4, 2024 at 11:14 AM
I’m writing today to voice my strong objection to Thunder Mountain Properties’ request for rezoning and amending the Sector Plan.
Melissa
Melissa (37934), June 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM
I’ve lived here since 1988, and am extremely unhappy about all the “building improvements” that are destroying the scenic, rural beauty and “small town” feel of the area. I strongly oppose this plan. It does not fit with the historic setting, and would increase the traffic congestion in the area.
Dawn
37920
1-L-24-RZ
Dawn (37920), January 4, 2024 at 11:21 AM
I strongly oppose this request. The density is too high - as it will surely be "clustered" in flat areas of the parcel. We do not want to see the same low standards and inappropriate projects recently approved and built in South Knox. See attached letter. Thank you.
Shirley
Shirley (37934), June 18, 2024 at 7:55 PM
This proposed development joins the Concord Masonic Cemetery, and I feel this development as currently designed descecrates this historic cemetery which is the final resting place of many pioneer family members of the Concord/Farragut Community. This sacred cemetery must be protected from the encroachment of this unwise and unnecessary development. The only way to ensure the cemetery’s protection is to deny this proposal. Please vote NO on this rezoning.
Dawn
37920
1-L-24-RZ
Dawn (37920), January 4, 2024 at 11:22 AM
Sewer expansion???? Sports Complex???? Please see attached regarding questions about this property. Thank you.
Eve (37934), June 18, 2024 at 8:26 PM
Our first church building from 1798 was demolished by federal troops then rebuilt as concord Presbyterian in 1877. In order to have ingress and egress to all church activities - our direct route is the one lane road known as second ave. Invading our access and inhibiting our ingress with drive through traffic from EZstop is inherently irresponsible development. More than that - it is disrespectful of normal enjoyment of our quaint village. We have no record of what unknown graves from the original church at Masonic Lodge may be savaged either. But please consider the veteran graves at Masonic lodge that are visible. We value those graves and do not want the families and veteran organizations to endure the disrespect you are proposing. Respect those living in Concord, those buried there and those worshiping there. Do the right thing towards a historic village!!!
Dawn
37920
1-L-24-RZ
Dawn (37920), January 4, 2024 at 11:24 AM
Do we really have un-met, pent-up demand for housing and commercial space? I did a quick inventory in our immediate area. See attachment below... My question is – are these current requests for rezoning and sector plan changes needed? Are they of some great benefit to our community?
Ed (37932), June 18, 2024 at 8:46 PM
I have seen really bad ideas before but this one might be one of the worst. This will impact everything in our neighborhood, increased traffic and noise and danger to walkers, bikers and even pulling out of our driveways. Trying to piggyback access from an established road in this neighborhood is disgusting and cowardly and we’re not gonna be used to line the pockets of a developer by destroying our perfect neighborhood. Other people have mentioned negatively affecting our property value and that is true but this would unfairly and unequivocally increase the property value of the new development on probably inferior construction from our homes. This is unacceptable and smells like something dastardly is afoot.
6-SB-24-C
Ed (37932), June 18, 2024 at 8:58 PM
You want to destroy this integrity and liveability of a neighborhood? Then approve this increase in traffic and watch all that go down the tubes. Nothing good can come from this except lining the pockets of the developer and who knows, maybe someone on the planning commission as well? Our road Highvue Drive is not designed for the more traffic this will bring into our midst. I personally find it offensive this was even proposed instead of going off Bob Gray Rd, which though not perfect is better able to handle the increase if indeed it is needed. You want to put people at risk, then push traffic thru here. We will not be silenced though.
Betty
37923
Betty (37923), June 19, 2024 at 7:17 AM
I am asking that this gas station proposal be stopped. This is an historic district. We are trying to preserve something of our ancestors and heritage. There is so much traffic now, to add this will cause more traffic inside the area which will cause damage to the area. The are is quiet now but if this is added it will destroy what is known and loved. There are plenty of places around us to get gas, food etc. I am respectfully asking, do not do this. Don’t destroy history. Don’t destroy a quiet neighborhood of good people. Just don’t.
Bill
Bill (37934), June 19, 2024 at 11:15 AM
There are several large acre parcels between the Village of Concord and the newly widened Concord Road on the east side of the road. We understand that these parcels will be developed over time, so I am asking the planning commission to consider all of these starting with the current proposal from EZ Stop. This type of development, (ez stop), would be good for Kingston Pike or other more large scale commercial developed corridors But not for this more residential light commercial corridor. The Commission has the ability to control development and approving a large, 7K sf 24/7 gas station with a drive through, speakers, and lighting is inappropriate at best. The components of this proposal are incompatible with the surroundings especially Knox County's only Historic Overlay Zone mere feet away from the historic cemetery. My additional comments are submitted via attached pdf, thank you.

Keith
6-SB-24-C
Keith (37932), June 19, 2024 at 12:55 PM
See attached
Jared
6-SB-24-C
Jared (37932), June 19, 2024 at 3:31 PM
I am very strongly against the proposed connection to Boyington Drive. My wife and I moved into this neighborhood with our two young children, one of the specific reasons being because the streets were not busy and we saw people walking very often. Between the traffic increase and the construction target of 2027, this means that when our kids are in elementary and middle school, we won't feel safe letting them ride bikes or retrieve an overthrown ball from the street. Please connect to a main road and leave our neighborhood out of the proprosed development plans. To reiterate, my wife and I are strongly against this proposal.
Jared
Jared (37932), June 19, 2024 at 3:33 PM
Tammy
Tammy (37932), June 19, 2024 at 8:31 PM
I purchased my home 10 plus years ago in this quite family friendly neighborhood, my last home. Now the plan, for what reason, is to route new condo traffic which will add 2000 plus trips through our neighborhood. These streets cannot handle that amount of traffic, and the safety aspect is astronomical. Opposed to this plan is not a strong enough word for this "not thought out plan".
Anna
Anna (37934), June 19, 2024 at 9:23 PM
I am opposed to this development. See attached comments.
Stacey
Stacey (37934), June 19, 2024 at 9:56 PM
As a resident of Old Concord, I am very apprehensive about a large gas station located near the end of my neighborhood. My husband and I share a home at the end of Lake Ridge Drive. I moved here a little over two years ago. It is one of my favorite spots in Farragut because. It’s still has a lot of historic structures, which gives it a very small town feel. Adding a new gas station a little less than a block where an old abandoned gas station is located like a risky venture. It will be very hard to get in and out of the gas station with no traffic light and all the traffic coming off of the roundabout. We frequently take walks where we have to cross over Concord to get to the Greenway. It’s very hard to get across that street as there is no crosswalk. Adding a gas station which would likely increase the amount of traffic in that spot would make crossing even more dangerous and really devalue our neighborhood. A great part of our neighborhood charm is the fact that we are within walking distance to several parks and the Greenway. Adding this gas station will really detract from that.
Melissa
Melissa (37934), June 20, 2024 at 6:15 AM
I have lived in Farragut since 1988. I am extremely unhappy and upset about all the “building improvements” that are removing the beautiful, rural landscape, destroying the unique “small town” feel, and replacing it with way too many “cookie cutter” or multi level buildings. I oppose this plan. It does not fit with the historic setting, and would increase the traffic congestion in the area.
Robert
Robert (37934), June 20, 2024 at 8:35 AM
This project will ruin the historic charm of Concord. Upset the traffic patterns in a negative way for the area. It is just not comparable to the neighborhood.
Melissa
Melissa (37934), June 20, 2024 at 12:52 PM
My main concern about the EZ Stop is that it doesn’t add value to the community. I’m not opposed to the area being developed, but I’d like it to be something that respects the integrity and quaintness of the neighborhood. A coffee shop, boutique, cafe, or something quiet with minimal traffic. A gas station is very invasive for the residents. It’s like putting it in the back of someone’s neighborhood. Our kids can’t ride their bikes. It’s an extreme increase in noise and light pollution. This area has what most people want: the serenity of nature and the lake, while still being close to town. The proposed development is in complete disregard to the residents it most affects. It also poses a significant traffic danger to non-residents (and us). The area is really dangerous for drivers to access. If someone is traveling eastbound on Northshore and takes the roundabout to Concord Rd, they have to get over to the right lane. But there’s a solid white no-pass lane to protect the westbound drivers turning onto Concord. It’s a very dangerous and tricky spot, even for someone like me who’s well-practiced. Sometimes I have to go all the way down to Loop just to turn to get to my own house cause it’s so busy. I don’t want to Deter progress, and I know it is necessary. There just have to be better ideas than what’s currently proposed.
Toby
29646
Toby (29646), June 20, 2024 at 2:18 PM

Kevin
37918
3-A-24-OB
Kevin (37918), March 7, 2024 at 7:47 AM
Knox County Planning Alliance supports the staff recommendation to deny the similar use determination. The noise levels emitted from this type of use easily cross property boundaries and cause noise nuisance for adjacent properties. Since this similar use consideration would apply across the county, it would be allowed on any property zoned Agricultural. Look at the zoning map and you will quickly see how this use would create substantial conflicts. A similar use from a noise perspective could be a race track. Would we permit racetracks in all Agricultural zoned property in the county?
Sarah
37923
6-O-24-RZ
Sarah (37923), May 18, 2024 at 11:26 PM
Please review the County Commission Mtg where the adjacent development of 0 Ebenezer was discussed to understand the precedent set for connectivity through existing neighborhoods. We can go 13 rounds over this issue again, but please… don’t make us.
LLoyd (Murray)
-4638
5-C-24-SU
LLoyd (Murray) (-4638), May 19, 2024 at 6:23 PM
I am against this proposal #5-SC-24-C and 5-A-24-SU

this proposal will strain Melstone, and Monterey with more traffic than it is designed I do not appreciate the secret nature of this proposal for the neighborhood it affects
Carrie
6-A-24-UR
Carrie (37922), May 20, 2024 at 6:35 PM
If this property is zoned for single family, then it should STAY single family. There are no duplexes in this area. Duplexes are not needed and they look trashy. It’s bad enough that townhouses are being built on this road.
Homeowners on Westland Bay Drive
6-A-24-UR
Homeowners on Westland Bay Drive (37922), May 30, 2024 at 6:53 AM
The proposed driveway is right next to Westland Bay Drive. Even now it is not easy to turn onto Westland, and with cars and SUVs parked on the proposed driveway, the view of the oncoming, speeding traffic will be seriously jeopardized and will create a ripe situation for accidents.
Approving this project will cause economic harm to homeowners on Westland Bay. Most people don't wish to buy a single-family home on a street that also has duplexes, so selling a house will be near impossible. Even cutting the trees that edge that property next to Westland Bay (where the proposed driveway is located) will reduce the economic value of all the homes on our street.
We very much hope the Planning Commission will deny the request based on these serious safety and economic concerns.
If however the MPC disregards these valid concerns and approves the application, please at least require that the plan is turned around so that the driveway is not next to Westland Bay but on the opposite side where the previous driveway was located, to avoid the serious safety issues. Please also require that the trees along our road not be cut, to somewhat mitigate the economic concerns of the homeowners on the street.

Cliff
Cliff (37922), May 31, 2024 at 10:23 PM
I was just made aware of the potential development of an EZ Stop Market on Concord Road at Second Drive. As a property owner in the Concord historic district, I feel I must express my concerns over this project. It is completely inappropriate for this location. Knox County has very few historic areas and Concord is important to our culture and our history. Placing this establishment next to the historic Masonic Lodge, and cemetery will disrupt the integrity of this historic district. It appears the planned project is too large for a residential area. It would be better placed on a larger road in a commercial zone. Although there are now several commercial facilities on Concord Road, they are not gas stations, supermarkets, or retail stores. The proposed market would bring unnecessary traffic into a neighborhood. It will also increase light and noise pollution for a residential area that is known for its walkable streets, churches and community. The historic overlay in Concord was created to protect an important part of Knox County history. Adding this market would harm the integrity of this community.
Margaret
Margaret (37934), June 1, 2024 at 7:38 AM
As an immediate neighbor of this proposed development, I am writing in opposition to the construction of an EZ Stop on Concord Road. This proposed location for a bustling gas station and restaurant is immediately adjacent a historic cemetery, still in use today with frequent new burials. The Village of Concord is a protected historic area, and encroachment into this area - particularly with an outlet on Second Drive immediately next to the cemetery, is an outrageous proposal. There are so few intact historical communities in this region, and all attempts should be made to preserve historic Concord as well as its surrounding infrastructure in the spirit of tranquility currently present. The increased traffic from this business will bleed over into the adjacent cemetery/place of rest in a way that is disrespectful to the dead, to the Masons next door, and to the neighbors adjacent to this property, like myself. I understand that development is inevitable, but every effort should be taken to be deliberate and intentional about the influx of traffic to the area and the noise pollution for the immediately adjacent historic cemetery.
Patricia
5-SC-24-C
Patricia (12), June 2, 2024 at 2:19 PM
When considering the request to allow development on the Monterey Oaks property, please note the following :
Since 2006 there have been six owners of this property. The last owner had planned to build two or three homes (for family), but three of the other previous owners had plans for larger developments, but were not successful in their attempts.
In 2006 Camdun Realty LLC spent hundreds of thousands of dollars clearing the hardwoods and vegetation, grading extensively, and preparing 18 lots for sale. However, with heavy rain the problem of uncontrollable runoff became an issue , with water gullies created, and water collecting at the end of the cul-de-sac on Peppercorn Lane, at the foot of the hill. The problem persisted , even with plastic fencing, straw bales, and a retention pond at the lowest point of the property . Finally the property was auctioned off. Two other attempts to develop have also been unsuccessful, due to financial or environmental obstacles.
There is a reason this property has not been developed for 18 years. Please do not let the neighborhood suffer the consequences of another attempt.

Belinda
Belinda (37934), June 2, 2024 at 7:10 PM
Please see attachment comment
Wayne
6-A-24-UR
Wayne (37922), June 3, 2024 at 1:45 AM
For more than 80 years residents in the immediate vicinity have fostered and developed single family residences. Sector Plans reflected community desires to maintain the single family heritage of this neighborhood. During rezoning we requested single family residential be maintained. Now, duplexes are being allowed in this zone, but that doesn't account for the character and history of this neighborhood. Allowing duplexes on this property establishes an unwanted and devaluing standard for this area of Westland Drive that should not be allowed. The Planning process should accomodate the historical legacy of this area, as Planning is the last bastion available to preserve the single family residential character of this neighborhood. The Immediate neighbors oppose such a degradation of development and request the single family character of our neighborhood be maintained.
Max (37934), June 3, 2024 at 11:51 AM
Greetings! We have: 1 - A sewage treatment plant across Concord - That makes noise. 2 - A main rail line close by - That makes noise 3 - A turn circle (turn-about) - That very often has “drifters” - Noise And now, 4 - A proposed gas station that will be located just across the property line, that will produce more noise pollution, as well as light pollution; all at the edge of a community on the Registry of Historical Places. Perhaps open 24 hours per day? Dentist office OK; this NO!
Mark
Mark (37934), June 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM
See attachment.
John
John (37934), June 4, 2024 at 1:29 PM
I live behind the Mason's Lodge and our family will be affected by the EZ Stop. I agree with all comments made already. I propose: (1) no drive-up speaker. (2) no alcohol sales. (3) a much smaller footprint. (4) no entrance on second Dr. The thing that bothers me is that no one is asking for this facility. We have Kroger for groceries and fuel, we have Wiegels for fuel and snacks plus a few cute restaurants in that area. It simply is not necessary.
David
37933
David (37933), June 4, 2024 at 2:09 PM
As a resident of Concord Village we take great pride in living here and work hard to maintain the historical preservation of this county treasure. After having reviewed the proposal, I am writing to request this development be denied, or significantly modified as it would have a major negative effect on our community. This development is far too large for this space and better suited on Lovell Road or somewhere off of Pellissippi. The additional traffic backups and accidents, crime, noise and evasive lighting would be devastating, especially if allowed to be open 24/7. It would seem that a small office complex, bank, library, or multi use light retail area would fit in much better. Should the Staff/Commission be of the opinion that the proposal be allowed to proceed, I ask it do so with the following stipulations: 1) The operating hours be no more than 6a-10p. 2) The setback be at least 75 feet. 3) No traffic be allowed to exit onto Second Drive. and 4) Steps be taken to scale back this over sized development and address concerns of noise, lighting, traffic and crime. Thank you. Please see attached file.
Fleida
4638
5-A-24-SU
Fleida (4638), June 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM
I have lived here for 25 years This has always been a good neighborhood for seniors to walk in and children to play in. the increased traffic from new project in not good for neighborhood. The new project should have its own entrance in and out instead of going 1 mile thru a subdivision with 10 connecting stop signs. Halfway up melstone there is a pool were many traffic accidents have occurred.
Carole
37912
5-A-24-SU
Carole (37912), June 4, 2024 at 2:59 PM
i am opposed to the project because of the increased traffic. this single residence was not designed for this amount of traffic going down melstone to merchants rd. there is a community pool half way down on melstone were is is always crowded on spring and summer months
Debbie
37912
5-A-24-SU
Debbie (37912), June 4, 2024 at 5:02 PM
Please see attached letter. A petition with 96 signatures of residents that this development would impact is attached in another comment.
Debbie
37912
5-A-24-SU
Debbie (37912), June 4, 2024 at 5:40 PM
See pgs 1-7 of 12 page petition. Divided into parts to upload. This file contains 1-56 signatures
Debbie
37912
5-A-24-SU
Debbie (37912), June 4, 2024 at 5:42 PM
See 2nd part of petition, 57-96 signatures
Carol
Carol (37934), June 5, 2024 at 12:51 PM
Please see the attached PDF message regarding Use on Review Case for 1025 Concord Rd.
Doug
Doug (37934), June 5, 2024 at 7:15 PM
In reference to the proposed EZ Stop fuel station, convenience store, and drive-thru restaurant being consider for 1025 Concord Road. I am completely against this! This is a residential area and makes zero sense to add a gas station! We already have gas stations at Kroger and Choto. This will create terrible traffic issues for everyone living in the immediate area but also for everyone trying to make their way to the round about. I strongly request that this proposal is rejected!
Sharon
Sharon (37934), June 5, 2024 at 9:51 PM
The proposed building of a large, 24-hour food mart/gas station/restaurant is inappropriate for this site. As a resident of Old Concord, a neighborhood adjacent to this property, I am concerned about the added noise associated with clearing more of the land. It is noisy already, with the traffic on Concord Road, and the property is not deep enough to accommodate the building, gas pumps, etc. without clearing most of the existing trees that currently provide some sound barrier. Also, traffic is already a problem in this area, since the roundabout at Northshore and Concord Rd. is close to Second Street, the proposed entrance to this business. Second Street is very narrow, so that one car must pull over onto the side of the road while another passes. A hill obstructs the view when turning south onto Concord Rd, making that turn nearly impossible at busy times now. It can only get worse with the addition of this type of business at this location. In addition, the bright lighting associated with gas stations/food marts would affect some of the residents of my neighborhood, as the business will be very close by. I am not opposed to the growth of business along Concord Road: however the added noise, traffic issues, and bright lights all night long are not appropriate so close to a residential community.
Laura
Laura (37934), June 5, 2024 at 10:12 PM
As a resident of the Historic Village of Concord, I oppose the EZ Stop development on Concord Road. I am very aware that this property will eventually be developed, but I feel that there are many other options that could be considered besides a large gas station and drive-thru restaurant. This development will be detrimental to the village behind this property. I have many concerns, but my main ones are losing all the tree buffers between the village and Concord Road, light and noise pollution from the gas station and drive-thru speaker, and traffic that will inevitably use our roads as a cut-through. We currently have a quiet, peaceful place to live and need the development of that land to fit and protect the historic nature of our village.
jamie
jamie (37934), June 6, 2024 at 10:31 AM
Proposed site location is too close to Concord Rd./Northshore roundabout. Traffic in this area is already very congested with adding this new business.
William C & Deborah J
6-A-24-UR
William C & Deborah J (37922), June 6, 2024 at 6:31 PM
See attached letter expressing our concerns regarding this proposed development. Hoping the commissioners will take these into consideration when the time comes to vote on this measure. William C. & Deborah J. Hall
Stephanie
Stephanie (37934), June 6, 2024 at 6:36 PM
My husband and I just finished restoring our 1890 home in the Historic Concord Village and have been in the process of moving our family to our new home over the last few weeks. To say it's an honor to be able to become part of the Historic Concord community is an understatement, as we are beyond in love with our new community and have felt since the moment we purchased our home beyond grateful to be able to become part of an area that the Town of Farragut and Knoxville have made a priority to preserve. We agree that progress around the community will ultimately happen, but believe any development planned for needs to be accomplished in a style and sentiment that fits the area, which a gas station, such as an EZ Stop, does not. This plan will do nothing to uplift the community or area surrounding it, and will only detract from the history and charm that makes this area so special. We were so impressed by this area when we decided to make the move. If something like an EZ Stop can be moved further down the way, possibly closer to the grocery store of other developments by Kingston Pike, that would feel more fitting and appropriate for a development of that size and chain. Please help us keep this area beautiful, and keep Farragut beautiful. We urge the Knox Planning board members to please come by the area to see firsthand the impact this would have on the area, before making any decisions.
Wanda
37920
1-L-24-RZ
Wanda (37920), December 30, 2023 at 7:01 PM
My name is Wanda Julian. I live in the Dry Hollow Community/Highland View area in South Knoxville. I am a retired RN and have lived in this area 70 + years. I am invested in preserving our community as the rural, natural area it has been for many years. I want to make it clear that I am not opposed to new growth and developments. I just want to see it done in a reasonable and responsible manner. And what is being done and proposed in this area of South Knoxville is neither reasonable nor responsible.

Jonathan
Jonathan (37934), June 6, 2024 at 9:48 PM
I am not against the development of Concord Rd. I am not against progress but do ask that developers are required to build/develop in ways that respect residents living in proximity. Thicker natural barriers, thoughtful design and layout to minimize pollution (noise, light, chemical, etc) and traffic patterns that all limit traffic exposure to residential areas nearby should be required.
Chris
6-A-24-UR
Chris (37922), June 6, 2024 at 9:49 PM
We live on Westland Bay Drive, the private road immediately west of the proposed Dream Subdivision; and we would like to express two general concerns with the concept plan.
First, as planned, the separation between Westland Bay Drive (serving 9 residences) and the proposed 25' access easement (serving 5 dwelling units) appears inadequate. For safety purposes, rather than abandoning the existing driveway on the eastern side of the proposed subdivision, it should be utilized as the shared driveway for all 5 of the units in the new subdivision.
Second, to help discourage use of our private road as access and parking for the proposed subdivision, a fence or other permanent barrier should be required along the entire boundary of the proposed Lots 1, 2 and 3 with Westland Bay Drive.
Judy
Judy (37922), June 7, 2024 at 10:01 AM
I have been a Concord resident for 30 years and I have seen the growth of the area and have dealt with all the traffic and congestion as the infrastructure has struggled to meet the growth. In my opinion, there is no historic charm on Concord Road. Unless you refer to the old, dilapidated building at the corner of Concord and Lake Ridge Dr. that has a food truck operating next to it. To me, it is an eyesore. In all my years living here, I have wished that site would be a functioning gas station/convenience store.
I support EZ Stop opening a gas station with a convenience store and restaurant at the proposed site, which is needed in this area. In addition, I'm glad to see a local business operating here instead of some chain from out of state. My children's activities take me all over the local area and I often stop at EZ Stop locations. Recently, their activities took me to a new EZ Stop at 2125 Morganton Road in Maryville. This is the nicest facility that I have ever had the pleasure to visit, and it was very family friendly. I believe the same layout would be beneficial to the residents of Concord and in no way detract from our community.
Jim and Cheryl
6-A-24-UR
Jim and Cheryl (37922), June 7, 2024 at 10:22 AM
Please see the attached letter which expresses our concerns with the proposed subdivision plan.
Florence
Florence (37934), June 7, 2024 at 12:17 PM
I am apposed to the EZ stop project on Concord road. My husband and I are resident since 1995. We raised our son in this community. I am French American and I appreciate the quaint village that reminds me of Europe. Fast food places and gas stations do not build a cultural identity. Knoxville has already erased so much of its past. It would be nice to keep some historical beauty and quiet around West Knoxville. We have a super center at Kroger and other places for fuel on North shore drive and Westland. I am also concerned about wildlife that is constantly displaced and crushed under cars, light pollution and such. Can we share a little with our wild neighbors? Foxes, rabbits, deer and other mammals live around the lake. This gas station will add nothing to our community, but noise, traffic and pollution. It will also degrade the historical feel of our small West Knoxville community. If you must build, then build a little park with native plants or invite a small restaurant owner to make something original and part of the community. I am thinking about the plaid apron in Sequoyah Hills that is a good example.
Homeowners Westland Bay
6-A-24-UR
Homeowners Westland Bay (37922), June 11, 2024 at 9:48 AM
We agree with previously expressed concerns and hope the MPC will deny the application. But if the MPC decides to approve the project, we ask that it be a conditional approval with the following requirements added to previous requests.
The plan for the duplexes needs to be turned around (180 degrees, west to east) so that the 2 duplexes connect directly with the gravel driveway proposed for the third property. There is no need for a second, concrete driveway. This change will reduce the serious safety issues in turning onto Westland Drive from Westland Bay.
The garage for Lot 1 should be moved from its proposed location northwest of the house to southeast of the house to connect directly with the gravel driveway.
No trees along Westland Bay (bordering all three lots) should be cut.
The suggested wooden fence along Westland Bay should be about 6 feet tall and should not end at Westland Drive. To avoid people walking around the fence in either direction, the fence should turn at a right angle at Westland Drive, run along Westland Drive, and end at the gravel driveway.

Westland Bay Homeowners
6-A-24-UR
Westland Bay Homeowners (37922), June 11, 2024 at 9:52 AM
We request that the application (6-A-24-UR) be denied, not only for all the concerns expressed so far, but because of possible future development on Westland Bay by the applicant. It is likely that he is considering buying the large wooded tract on our street. He has already had it surveyed. It is also possible that he may buy the property at 1216 Westland Bay which the owner has tried selling many times. His plan may be to cram all this area with duplexes, which could result in about 20 duplexes at the small size he is planning. This may explain why he calls a plan for 2 duplexes and 1 ranch house a 'subdivision.' It would mean about 40 new families on a street where there have been only 9 single-family homes for 35 years. The homeowners on Westland Bay do not want a developer to encroach on our peaceful neighborhood with duplexes (possibly a string of them to come) and destroy the quiet character and the natural beauty of our single-family residential street. (Please read further details and concerns in the attachment.)
Tommie
Tommie (37934), June 11, 2024 at 10:22 AM
Thank you for the opportunity to voice my concerns over the proposed EZ Stop. The scale of the EZ Stop is much too large for the surrounding area and especially for Concord. The roads in Concord are very narrow and it is already a challenge for two cars to pass much less a car and pick up truck on the narrow roads and the proposed project will greatly increase traffic and congestion in the area. The scale and nature of the EZStop does not fit with any other existing development in the area and would increase traffic on an already congested road that is prone to traffic back ups already. It is also a very unfortunate location because it will be directly in front of an active and historic cemetery. The noise and light pollution will be an unfortunate consequence if the EZ Stop is built. I hope this plan will be reconsidered and a more thoughtful and appropriate use of the land can be found.