Why do we redistrict?
Representative governments depend upon equal districts to give everyone the same voting power.
State law requires all county legislative bodies to evaluate their districts at least once every 10 years (TCA §5-1-111). This ensures each district within the county has approximately equal populations.
One Person, One Vote
The concept of equal representation in voting. Each district’s commissioner represents an equal number of people when they vote on local matters.
The target population for each district, found by dividing the total population for the county by the number of commission districts.
The difference between a district’s ideal population and its actual population.
The range between the highest positive deviation and the lowest negative deviation – the goal in redistricting is to have an overall deviation less than 10%.
If a racial/ethnic minority population comprises more than 50% of an existing district, any changes to that district must also have more than 50% minority population to preserve the ability to elect minority-preferred candidates.
The measure of how regular or irregular a shape is – districts are required to be reasonably compact to prevent gerrymandering.
Knox County Redistricting Committee
- Chair Kyle Ward County Commission: District 4
- Vice Chair Randy Smith County Commission: District 3
- Richie Beeler County Commission: District 8
- Justin Biggs County Commission: At Large
- Charles Busler County Commission: District 7
- Carson Dailey County Commission: District 9
- Chris Davis Knox County Election Commission: Administrator of Elections
- Courtney Durrett County Commission: District 2
- Terry Hill County Commission: District 6
- Kristi Kristy Chair of School Board: District 9
- Larsen Jay County Commission: At Large
- Dasha Lundy County Commission: District 1
- John Schoonmaker County Commission: District 5
- March, 2021
- January, 2022
Listed below are solutions to be considered at each committee meeting.
Proposed Solution 1Considered September 23, 2021
- Solution proposed by Commissioner Terry Hill
Proposed Solution 2Considered September 23, 2021
- Solution proposed by Commissioner Larsen Jay
Proposed Solution 3Considered September 23, 2021
- Solution proposed by Commissioner John Schoonmaker
Proposed Solution 3aConsidered October 6, 2021
- Solution proposed by Redistricting Committee at Sept. 23 meeting
Proposed Solution 3bConsidered October 6, 2021
- Solution proposed by Commissioner Kyle Ward
- Approved on first reading October 21, 2021
- Approved on second reading October 28, 2021
Proposed Solution 3c
- Solution proposed by Commissioner Courtney Durrett
Proposed Solution 4Considered September 23, 2021
- Solution proposed by School Board Member Kristi Kristy
Proposed Solution 5Considered October 6, 2021
- Solution proposed by Commissioners Courtney Durrett and Dasha Lundy