Refer to the appropriate Sector Plan for land use classifications in Knox County.
Neighborhood Commercial (CN)
This commercial zoning district provides the opportunity to locate limited retail and service uses in a manner convenient to and yet not disruptive to established residential neighborhoods. It is intended to provide for the recurring shopping and personal service needs of nearby residential areas. Development should be compatible with the character of the adjacent neighborhood. This zoning should generally be placed at street intersections that include either a collector or arterial street, as close to the edge of the neighborhood as possible. The range of permitted uses is limited to those that are generally patronized on a frequent basis by neighborhood residents. Development performance standards are provided to maximize compatibility between commercial uses and adjacent residential uses.
Mixed Use Neighborhood Center
- Flat terrain (slopes generally less than 10 percent)
- Currently served by or planned to be served by sidewalks
- The location does not include auto and truck- oriented uses such as industrial, strip commercial and warehouse / distribution uses unless the proposal calls for a redevelopment of such areas
- At the intersection of a local street and throughfare
- Next to low or medium density residential
- Generally located at intersections of collectors or arterial streets at the edge of or central to a neighborhood
- New NC should not be zoned for or developed within ? mile of existing commercial that features sales of day-to-day goods and services
- Automobile-oriented uses (e.g. gas stations or convenience stores) should be located on arterial street at the edge ofneighborhood
- At the intersection of two thoroughfares (arterial or collector roads)
- Rural commercial nodes should generally not exceed more than 300 feet in depth and lots and not extend more than 300 feet away from the intersection