Refer to the appropriate Sector Plan for land use classifications in Knox County.
City of Knoxville
Regional Commercial (C-R)
The C-R Regional Commercial Zoning District is intended to accommodate medium- to large-scale commercial development within the City of Knoxville that serves both local and regional markets. Such development may generate a considerable amount of traffic, and typically requires significant area for off- street parking. High-density residential uses are also permitted within the C-R District, to facilitate mixed-use development where appropriate. The C-R District is divided into two levels of intensity related to the overall form and design of the development; however, uses are the same across all levels.
traffic-carrying capacity, safety and environmental impacts. Redevelopment of commercial corridors, including mixed use development, should be accommodated under planned or design-oriented zones.
- Existing commercial areas
Mixed Use Regional Center
Downtown Knoxville?s Central Business District is a regional mixed use center.
- Flat site (generally less than 10 percent slopes)
- Currently served by or planned to be served by sidewalks
- The location does not include auto and truck- oriented uses such as industrial, strip commercial and warehouse/distribution uses unless the proposal calls for a redevelopment of such areas
- On a major arterial, adjacent to an interstate highway or adjacent to downtown
Development typically exceeds 400,000 square feet; malls have been a typical form and ?life- style centers? (e.g. Turkey Creek) are examples of regional-oriented commercial uses. Regional commercial uses may also be considered in Regional Centers (see Mixed Use and Special Districts).
- Flat sites (under 10 percent slope)
- Locate near interstate interchanges with major arterial highway access
- Water, sewer, natural gas utilities and stormwater systems should be capable of handling the development
- Vehicular and pedestrian connections should be accommodated between components of the development