August 11, 2022

Public Comments

63 Comments
Daniel
37920
7-F-22-RZ
Daniel (37920), June 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM
I would like to request additional information on rezoning request 7-F-22-RZ. What type and how many structures are being planned for this 0.73 acre lot? The address listed on the rezoning request does not appear to be accurate as the lot is not located on Konda Drive (see attached PDF). This lot fronts an unnamed road that connects with Michaels Lane. Is there a right of way for a public road from Konda Drive to this lot that the residents of Woodfield Park are not aware of? Any information you could provide prior to the public meeting would be appreciated.

View Attachment
Marc
37920
7-F-22-RZ
Marc (37920), July 13, 2022 at 6:11 AM
I'm not sure what is going to be built on 0 Karla Drive, but i'd like to ask the zoning and planning commission to consider this property is a continuation of the Woodfield Park neighborhood and any building should reflect the purpose and type of homes built in the said neighborhood. It would be irresponsible and disrespectful of any deciding commission to the home owners who like living in a neighborhood that consists of single family homes on half acre tracts of land to have anything else built that doesn't reflect the charm of a mid century neighborhood. Whatever is being built will be in the back yards and side yards of the existing homes.
james
37931
8-SA-22-C
james (37931), July 28, 2022 at 8:33 PM
100% against this. We do not want to live next to 18 houses crammed on a small lot. How is 5 units per acre considered "low density" residential? Five feet between units? This is not the area for that. There are already a dozen neighborhoods up and down ball camp pike and ball road. I do not have the words for how infuriating this is. I have a strong suspicion that my opinion and that of my neighbors is fully inconsequential in this matter, but I cannot just sit silently and not speak up while you allow the area where my family has lived since the 40's be ruined.
Philip
37938
8-C-22-SP
Philip (37938), July 29, 2022 at 9:29 AM
I would not be opposed to Mr. Grissom getting a variance or something like that but I would be opposed to rezoning this whole area. This is a nice rural area this was part of the reason I moved here in 2016.
Geena
37922
8-G-22-DP
Geena (37922), July 31, 2022 at 10:23 AM
Hello! Please consider when rezoning this land the homeowners of Lake Cove. Don’t cram in 4-5 houses an acre. Make them 3/acre with nicer houses as to not lower the property values. We currently have a line of trees between Lake Cove and this land, and we would like to keep those to help buffer the noise from all the development. We would also like the privacy fence extended all the way to the entrance of the subd. Thank you!
Denise
37938
8-C-22-SP
Denise (37938), August 2, 2022 at 8:31 AM
I am not necessarily opposed to Mr Grissom operating the business with restrictions to limit the visibility of commercial vehicles, dumpster, and equipment, but as an adjacent property owner I am opposed to a commercial rezoning. If a variance is issued, we request restrictions on the business to maintain the integrity of a residential zoned area.
Leon and Carol
37938
8-C-22-SP
Leon and Carol (37938), August 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM
We oppose the amendment to the sector plan and rezoning to commercial. There is no reason to amend the sector plan for a 3 1/2 acre parcel. The commercial zones are several miles away. The owner has been operating this business on the property for years and stored heating/cooling units out in the open, parks his work trucks, and employee vehicles on the property. It is an eyesore. The property also shares an easement with the property behind it. This has caused some problems with trucks blocking the driveway. It seems that rezoning this to commercial will be detrimental to our property values, and what would happen if the owner decides to sell his property if it is zoned commercial?
Charlene
37938
8-C-22-SP
Charlene (37938), August 3, 2022 at 3:09 PM
Mr. Grissom led me to believe he was asking the planning commission for a variance to continue operating his business and not rezoning his property to commercial. I do not object to a variance to continue to operate his business within Knox County guidelines; however, I do oppose this property, or any other property in this residential zone, being zoned as commercial. Please vote NO.
8-SF-22-C
TJ (37922), August 3, 2022 at 6:27 PM
I do not see a a tree or fence buffer between this new subdivision and Lake Cove, especially our lots 1-4, on these plans. Our lots #3 & #4 need this buffer to protect our houses from construction dust, dirt and noise. This was requested in the original plan by us and nothing appears in the notes.
Please address this with builder.

Also in the notes on the variance request from 300 to 186 feet, needs to remain at 300 feet for safety reason. Please address this with builder.
Philip
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Philip (37934), August 7, 2022 at 1:58 PM
I support the staff's recommendation to deny this request for reasons stated in the Staff Report. In addition, green space in Farragut is rapidly disappearing. As a frequent user of the greenway that passes through the area of the proposed development, I have seen deer as well as many other small animals frequenting this parcel. They would obviously be displaced by residential development further reducing their available habitat to the detriment of our environment.

As the Staff Report points out this parcel, while valuable as greenspace, is undesirable for high density residential development.
Mary
37918
7-E-22-SP
Mary (37918), August 7, 2022 at 7:48 PM
I’m very concerned about the proposed subdivision at 7600 Ridgeview Road because of the number of cars that will be routed onto Ridgeview Road and Tazewell Pike and the potential expansion of Hallsdale~Powell Utilities deeper into Corryton..

If each of the 30 proposed homes is owned by 2 working adults that will add 60 additional cars onto Tazewell Pike and/or Ridgeview Road. There is not a safe entrance onto Tazewell Pike from any of the roads near the subdivision. The school year just makes it worse. Ridgeview Rd. will take the brunt of the traffic and it’s already a speedway.

I’m not opposed to progress but adequate infrastructure must be part of the equation and it’s not there.

Regarding sewer, the developer has indicated both KUB and Hallsdale-Powell as potential sewer providers. The latter is by far the nearest. But by expanding sewer to the proposed subdivision every home that it runs in front of will be required to pay for it even if they choose not to hook up. HDPU is the most expensive utility in the state and a conservative figure of $100 extra a month is what these working class residents will have to pay monthly. Money is tight and will not be easing off. Don’t add more cost to your constituents. Think Septic tank.
View Attachment
Susan
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Susan (37934), August 7, 2022 at 8:07 PM
Hello,
I am urging you not to rezone the land adjacent to Saddle Ridge neighborhood. It would be an increased risk of fire, destruction of important habitat, and an increase in traffic on roads that are not built to handle that amount of traffic. Thank you.
Alyson
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Alyson (37934), August 7, 2022 at 8:30 PM
I would ask the Board to deny this request. As a resident of Shady Ridge Lane, this property owner’s logging has significantly removed any buffer that our street had from the adjacent property; and noise pollution has significantly increased due to the lack of mature trees. Allowing this type of development would also diminish the value of the homes along our street.

Please seriously review and consider the comments made by staff and consider as well the fact that this property owner has not complied with the previous zoning requirements by wholly removing the buffer that was required. While development on this property may be appropriate, to allow multi-family housing at the number of houses per acre proposed is inconsistent with the nature of the surrounding property.

Sincerely,
Alyson Dyer
Dayakar
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Dayakar (37934), August 7, 2022 at 10:03 PM
The Trust Company that owns the property adjacent to Saddle Ridge, has submitted a request to Knox County to rezone the property from "General Commercial" to "Medium Density Residential". This is a very bad idea and should be denied. As was recommended in the rezoning report, " it does not meet the location criteria for MDR and is incompatible with adjacent land uses and topographic constraints", this request is highly inappropriate and also will significantly erode the natural habitat and plant life.
James
37934
8-C-22-RZ
James (37934), August 7, 2022 at 10:06 PM
Please reject this rezoning request. It will have an adverse effect on truck stop traffic, over crowded schools and over extended utilities. Thank you.
Nikki
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Nikki (37934), August 8, 2022 at 5:45 AM
As a parent, I am concerned with how rezoning will affect the already crowded Farragut Schools.

Rezoning would impact everything from unplanned (by the County) impact on traffic in the access area which is off a small road just south of the Watt Rd exit of I40, to unplanned impact on the utilities that we depend on. For those of us that also would like to preserve the natural habitat, it goes without saying that there would be a significant impact on plants and wildlife.
Brian
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Brian (37934), August 8, 2022 at 9:30 AM
Please deny the request for this rezoning as adding 12 residences / acre is significant increase in density and would negatively impact traffic, utilities, schools, etc. There are sufficient other locations that could be considered for this type of zoning.
Henry
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Henry (37934), August 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM
I agree - the rezoning request should be denied.
Yang
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Yang (37934), August 8, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Dear Planning Staff of Knox County,

As a resident of Saddle Ridge Subdivision, I want to express my disagreement on this rezoning plan. Rezoning would impact everything from unplanned impact on traffic in the access area which is off a small road just south of the Watt Rd exit of I40, to unplanned impact on the utilities that we depend on, to the impact on our schools, etc. For those of us that also would like to preserve the natural habitat, it goes without saying that there would be a significant impact on plants and wildlife.

Please consider all impacts, not only economic advantages.
Thanks,
Yang
Timothy
37921
Timothy (37921), August 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM
I've been a student at KMAA for over 9 years, beginning when I was a graduate student at UT in engineering. KMAA was one of the main reasons I chose to stay in Knox County instead of leaving the East Tennessee region entirely after graduation. In my time at KMAA, it has become an institution in South Knoxville, bringing in dozens of customers daily in an area of shuttered storefronts and barred windows. The South Knoxville location is ideal, allowing KMAA to draw students daily from as far as Oak Ridge, Pigeon Forge, and Morristown.

KMAA is an unique fitness business. It's not a nationwide chain or affiliate, it's not a large regional chain funded by investors. It's a local business, employing Knoxville residents, keeping profits local. It's also a world-class coaching and training environment, with more competitive success than any comparable gym in the state. Approving this rezoning is necessary so that KMAA can build facilities and parking to match the quality of the instruction and of the students and staff.

South Knoxville is more than breweries, coffee shops, and nationwide chains. It's also the natural home of the kinds of businesses that keep people in Knox County.
Stevean
37917
Stevean (37917), August 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM
KMAA is a good home to come to and great family
Olivia
37865
Olivia (37865), August 8, 2022 at 12:20 PM
I am a teacher at South Doyle High School and compete professionally for KMAA. I noticed that you are set to deny their request to build their gym on their property. I hope that you change your mind because this gym has been super important to me and my family. They do so much for their community. You couldn’t find better people on this earth. Adding a gym to the area would give the people a positive place to work out and train near their home. Please reconsider. Thank you.
Emilee
37920
Emilee (37920), August 8, 2022 at 12:31 PM
I am in favor of this rezone as Knoxville Martial Arts Academy has a become a place that promotes health and wellness in our community. As a registered nurse, I find that this business dramatically and positively impacts peoples mental and physical health. I have witnessed countless people loss weight, become more active, and eat healthy because of the leadership and coaching at KMAA. I have been a member of this gym for 10 years now and personally know the benefits is holds. In my opinion it would be wise to allow this business to grow and expand for the over all health and well being of the Knoxville community.
Nick
37920
Nick (37920), August 8, 2022 at 12:31 PM
My name is Nick Wigley and I have lived in South Knoxville for almost 10 years and have been a member of KMAA for 6 years.

They do an amazing job teaching martial arts and helping people reach goals not just in training and fitness but in life as well. They have helped me when I truly needed guidance.

To deny these amazing people the chance to help more people better themselves is folly. Not only do they give children a chance to participate in something and get kids off the street, but they have also enriched the lives of so many others. Many veterans, policemen and women, and workers in healthcare have all been at their facility and have been helped by the good people who coach here. They have built a culture in their facility that doesn’t exclude others but embraces them. It’s why I am still actively training here to this very day.

Please reconsider your position in Knoxville Martial Arts Academy. They would only better the community they are in.
Morgan
37918
Morgan (37918), August 8, 2022 at 12:32 PM
The rezone should be approved as it will help improve the area by adding such a great business that gives back to the community.
Anthony
37777
Anthony (37777), August 8, 2022 at 12:33 PM
I hope this message finds you well. I’ve been a member of KMAA for 6 years and in this time period we have grown tremendously. The rezoning would help make sure our gym continues to be able to support its ever growing environment and will be incredibly beneficial to us. Thank you for listening and I hope you have a great rest of your day.
Sara
37849
Sara (37849), August 8, 2022 at 12:34 PM
I've been involved with KMAA for over 10 years. I can't say enough good things about Coach Eric Turner and his positive impact on countless lives. The motto of KMAA is "Ubuntu, I am because we are." It is the most positive learning environment I have ever been in. I have not only learned practical fighting skills, but also how to be a good teammate. KMAA offers so many kids and young adult classes, including ASL instruction. Any community will benefit by KMAA'S presence.
James
37917
James (37917), August 8, 2022 at 12:47 PM
Hi my names james adcock wanting to comment on the rezone for Knoxville martial arts academy (KMAA) ! Kmaa has always been an outstanding business for people of all walks of life it would be very beneficial to the local community and everyone around it ! So please reconsider! Thank you
Daniel
37920
Daniel (37920), August 8, 2022 at 12:52 PM
As a south knox resident I can not say enough about Knoxville Martial Arts Academy. A wonderful group that uplifts the community I’ve known about the gym for over five years now and I’ve only had good experiences. They are a staple in the area and a wonderful business!
Alexis
R 921
Alexis (R 921), August 8, 2022 at 12:57 PM
This is for Knoxville Martial Arts Academy. I am 100% in favor of them getting the land they need to build the gym they need. KMAA has changed not only my life but my family’s life for the better. My husband was lost until he found the gym, then shortly after introduced me to training. We since have our kids training, too. KMAA has been teaching my kids ASL, as well as other life skills they bring home every day. This is a place I want my kids and my newborn son raised up in. The women in the gym have such an open arms community, and I believe with the right facility, more and more women will come to have a safe place they can make friends and learn self defense. I believe if you give them the chance, KMAA will change the area for the better. And trust me, this area could use some love.
Dre
37830
Dre (37830), August 8, 2022 at 1:09 PM
My name is Dre Miley I’ve been with KMAA for 13 years. Before I joined KMAA I was going a dark time in my life. I lost my left eye in a car wreck and completely gave up on everything. Thanks to KMAA my life has significantly improved in all aspects of life. KMAA isn’t just a gym it’s a community that empowers those who lost their voice/self esteem to find it again. KMAA also gives kids within the south Knox community a place to learn life skills and learn more about themselves than traditional sports. Without KMAA there would be countless amount of people that would be lost.
Ray (37920), August 8, 2022 at 1:10 PM
As a resident of South knoxville, and a member of KMAA, I am fully in favor of this rezone. I've been a member of KMAA for 5 years and have seen the impact it has on people's lives and the community surrounding them. To block this rezone would greatly damage the community of South Knoxville and hundreds of lives. Many, many people rely on KMAA to keep them healthy and active, as well as off the streets and out of trouble. Do not take this amazing community away from South Knoxville. They have done and will continue to do great things for the surrounding areas.
Jason
37920
Jason (37920), August 8, 2022 at 1:19 PM
Knoxville Martial Arts Academy has helped so many children, teens, and adults in the last 20+ years, and having a new state of the art facility would allow for KMAA to reach even more lives. Please reconsider your decision and allow the Turners their request to rezone this area into a commercial business zone, and keep a proven-successful business in South Knoxville!
Chris
37919
Chris (37919), August 8, 2022 at 1:21 PM
Greetings, my name is Chris Anderson and I would like to respectfully take a moment to talk about KMAA and what they have done for me. They have had such a profound impact on my life that I cannot imagine where I would be at now without them. The atmosphere that they generate is one of immense positivity and it emanates from every corner of the facility. They have greatly improved my wellbeing, both physically and mentally, in ways that self-help books and videos couldn't even do. I know that I am not the only one that has experienced this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most of the students there will express the same opinion. They are a blessing to the community and should be given whatever resource is needed in order to grow. The more they grow, the more people can join and the more positive impact they can create within our community. Thank you!
Melissa
37924
Melissa (37924), August 8, 2022 at 1:27 PM
I am a recent widow with 3 children. KMAA has been instrumental in our grieving process and has supported my family in each step to move forward. We had to move a bit further away because of our circumstances but that has not affected our participation and support of KMAA. It would be a detriment for us personally and for the community to prevent the rezoning.
Cara
37918
Cara (37918), August 8, 2022 at 1:32 PM
As a fellow local, small business owner it would be disheartening to see the request for this rezoning denied.

KMAA is an asset to the Knoxville community that gives people an outlet to better themselves physically and mentally. I personally have experienced firsthand the benefits KMAA and am grateful for the services they provide to the community.

I hope you reconsider voting no to this rezoning and continue to allow KMAA to give back to this community.
Natalie
37917
Natalie (37917), August 8, 2022 at 1:33 PM
Being a member of KMAA has changed my life. It's the most positive, welcoming organization I've ever been a part of and is a huge asset to the community. This is a place where everyone is welcomed and treated with respect, and all of the coaches are 100% invested in helping every person meet their goals, whatever those may be. I am in favor of this rezoning to allow KMAA to grow and continue improving people's lives as much as it has improved mine.
Sarah
37917
Sarah (37917), August 8, 2022 at 1:39 PM
To Whom it may concern:
As someone who regularly attends KMAA for the wonderful training and coaching, I would like to see the re-zoning be approved for the gym. The new location would be an asset to the community by providing a better space to offer their services and encourage more community members to attend. I reside in north Knoxville, but I still choose KMAA to be my gym for the loving community that they cultivate. Thank you for your time.
Christina
37917
Christina (37917), August 8, 2022 at 1:45 PM
Good afternoon,
After spending 7 years as a student of KMAA, I humbly request the approval of the re-zone, to then build the new facility. We have been a staple for the vestal community, and our classes are overflowing. I am personally investing in the children's classes as one of the coaches. We have seen many children come into our classes, troubled, and unhappy. After several weeks of classes they have a better grasp of self control, kindness, discipline, and overall being a better human. We desperately need more space as our children’s program is growing quickly and we have run out of room! The addition of a bigger KMAA is a potential positive impact on the community that shouldn’t be missed!
Dan
37917
Dan (37917), August 8, 2022 at 2:02 PM
For 3 years my family has been coming to KMAA. In the beginning I was just looking for a martial arts gym that my family could attend to teach discipline and structure. What I found was a gym and culture focused on family, positive moral values, healthy lifestyle, and hard work. In 3 short years my children have blossomed under the careful leadership of the instructors to become strong athletes with respectful attitudes in competition. Over time they have learned that discipline and hard work are necessary attributes of success. They are more confident and secure in themselves, they know what hard work practically looks like, and they have a healthy respect for hard work.

KMAA is not just some normal business. KMAA is an organization that is focused on the lives, character, and values of its members and community. It is a valuable asset to Knoxville to help change the lives of every one who enters. It provides practical physical outlets, community to grow in, and friendships for life.

While I understand that the rezoning for property has been denied, I implore the committee to seriously reconsider that opinion. KMAA is an incredible asset to South Knoxville not just from a business perspective, but from the view point to give people of that community purpose and a mission. For this reason I am humbly asking the committee to approve KMAA's request for rezoning to build this new building.
Ricky
37921
Ricky (37921), August 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM
My name is Ricky, I have been training martial arts at KMAA for a little over 2 years. KMAA has had a huge positive impact on my life and the lives of many people I know. I am in favor of any change that helps them grow and reach more people.
Rebekah
37922
Rebekah (37922), August 8, 2022 at 2:28 PM
I am in favor of giving the children of our community more beneficial past times other than video games and eating out. This school has been wonderful for my kids and I would love to see them be able to expand.

Rebekah
Melanie
37748
Melanie (37748), August 8, 2022 at 2:37 PM
Please consider approval for this small business. KMAA is comprised of children, families and working professionals that work to achieve health and wellness for all of its members.

KMAA historically invests in the community and improves the lives of the people around them.

This gym will be a great asset to this community.
Bronson
37917
Bronson (37917), August 8, 2022 at 2:37 PM
Please reconsider your disapproval of the commercial rezone of this property. As an active member since 2018, I can vouch that Knoxville Martial Arts Academy is a one of a kind gym that holds a one of a kind culture. It’s owners and staff help all members by teaching valuable lessons for inside and outside of the gym. Thank you for your time and once again, please reconsider your decision.
Eric
37865
8-F-22-SP
Eric (37865), August 8, 2022 at 2:50 PM
My name is Eric Turner and I was told by my county commissioner, Mr. Carson Dailey, that I ought to submit exhibits in support of my rezone application. This is a pdf of our rezone request overlaid with the KGIS topographical map as well as our rezone request with our building size sketched onto it. I am also containing some additional information on the land that we purchased on 4-29-22. Our goal was always to purchase some commercial land to build our building on, however due to a multitude of issues that has proven to be a significant problem. Hopefully this pdf will help explain why we are requesting the re-zone, in order for us to move forward with our commercial project in this area. Thank you very much for your time.
View Attachment
Angela
37922
Angela (37922), August 8, 2022 at 2:53 PM
I’ve been a member at Knoxville Martial Arts Academy for 10 years. I stumbled into KMAA seeking a new workout facility that was close to home. I was a single-Mother of 2 amazing kids who was also down on her luck. When I walked through the door I was greeted with open-arms, genuine smiles & hope. At the time I was unemployed, no family or help, 2 black-eyes & a broken nose. I desperately needed a change. Never would I anticipate that a small step forward would completely change my my future and subsequently the lives of my kids.

Through KMAA I learned life-long lessons that are irreplaceable. On the mats I learned who I was and most importantly, who I wasn’t. I learned how to silence the voices that held me back. I learned how to take control, to sit with failure, & relentlessly get back up. I learned how to be complete within myself.

Today I am a gainfully employed at the Y-12 National Security Complex as a Control Systems Engineer. I’m working with the National Nuclear Security Administration on the Uranium Processing Facility. My son is 19, a Jr. in college, Dean’s list, student athlete & VP of his college baseball team. My daughter is a Jr. in High School & on the Honor Roll. There is no denying KMAA’s role in our success.

To deny the request of rezoning would be detrimental & a great injustice to our community. Without KMAA many would be lost in our community. Please reconsider rezoning.
Garrett
37920
Garrett (37920), August 8, 2022 at 3:02 PM
As a member of KMAA for over 5 years, I am in favor of the rezone. I couldn’t put into words how amazing this gym and community is. People come from all walks of life, but the family that has been built there is truly remarkable. In a world filled with negativity and hate, this place has been a safe haven to some of my happiest and most cherished moments.
Elijah
37921
Elijah (37921), August 8, 2022 at 3:08 PM
Hello, I’m Elijah Gilbertson. And KMAA has majorly impacted my life and many lives around me and the community. They’re doing so many great things not just for the men, but the women and children too. Teaching my kids good self control self defense as well as ASL. Training my wife to take care of herself and feel more comfortable on her own. Helping me with my anger and emotions and depressing. It’s really been a light to me and many others like me. Eric and Taylor Turner are some of the best, most genuine people I’ve ever met. And have sacrificed so much for others. So I’m in favor of the rezone. Let the Turners build this new home for people of all walks of life to come together and make the world a better and safer place. Thank you.
David
37920
David (37920), August 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM
KMAA offers a service that improves the lives of those surrounding it. They seek to improve the physical, mental, and even spiritual aspects of its members. This place isn’t your average gym. There are countless lives that have been changed through this organization. But all of the good work requires a place. The ability to change some of the zoning to commercial would allow this building to go up and more magic to begin to happen. Please allow the zoning to be changed to commercial for this 5 acres so KMAA can continue changing lives.
Katie
37920
Katie (37920), August 8, 2022 at 4:03 PM
I am in favor for the rezoning! My family has been changed by KMAA and Taylor and Eric!

You can’t talk to someone at KMAA without hearing how their lives have changed for the better by this gym!

KMAA has also helped provide access to martial arts for my son and his friends who are deaf, and many of KMAA’s instructors are learning sign language for them!

They give back to our community by changing lives!
JUSTIN
37871
JUSTIN (37871), August 8, 2022 at 4:12 PM
Please approve the rezoning of this property to commercial. KMAA has made a huge difference in the lives of so many. We found KMAA in November 2019 and it immediately became a fixture in our family. KMAA is much more than just a gym. It encourages hard work, positivity, determination, physical and mental fitness and so much more. Please approve this rezoning so that KMAA can keep changing lives for the better!
Emily
37876
Emily (37876), August 8, 2022 at 4:14 PM
Hi, my name is Emily Estep and I'm writing to ask that you please approve the rezoning request for KMAA, so they can have this opportunity to grow and open doors for even more individuals in the community. I'm the mother of a 13 yr old son with ADHD who has been a student of KMAA for over 8 yrs, since he was 5 yrs old. KMAA has made such a difference in my son's life that we've been able to take him off of his ADHD medication. He's learned so much more about himself than he would have at any other martial arts academy. KMAA is more than a gym that trains the body. Its a family and second home that strengthens the mind and body. Rezoning the land to allow them to build this new facility will only strengthen the community.
Anne
37921
Anne (37921), August 8, 2022 at 4:21 PM
I am in support of the rezoning. I am a registered nurse and a current student in a nurse practitioner masters program. KMAA has helped me become a healthier, more confident person by being a welcoming place full of knowledgeable and accepting coaches and students. KMAA is a place where people of every age, every fitness level, and every socioeconomic background go to better themselves physically and mentally. The coaches are willing to help in every way they can and work hard to provide a training environment that is safe, beneficial, and free from judgment.
Samantha
37777
Samantha (37777), August 8, 2022 at 4:28 PM
My name is Samantha Chowdhury and I am in favor of the rezone for Knoxville Martial Arts Academy. 6 years ago I found Knoxville Martial Arts Academy through a friend. My husband was interested in learning mixed martial arts and we immediately set up a trial to see if this is something he really wants to do. While I myself, do not participate in classes, I’ve never felt unwelcome. In fact, the environment and community there has help my husband and I in so many ways. Knoxville Martial Arts Academy is not just another normal gym. When you join you gain a family, a support system, people who genuinely care about your successes. This family is ever growing and wants to be able to help better the lives of as many people as possible. So I implore you to please reconsider and approve the rezoning so that Knoxville Martial Arts Academy can continue helping our community.
Katherine
37830
Katherine (37830), August 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM
Eric and Taylor Turner are wonderful people who have contributed positively to the community for years!

Please consider what rezoning this area will do for the lives of those who attend KMAA.

Personally, KMAA serves me for my mental health. Battling major depression disorder for a decade now, KMAA provides classes that help correct my chemical imbalances through physical activity. As well as, knowing I have a positive support system of individuals that I can count on there.

The owners and employees there, truly and genuinely care about every person who steps through their doors.

They also have a charity for those in the community who can’t afford to take classes, to make sure they have an opportunity to do so!

I am in favor of the rezoning because I believe this will be a beautiful addition to the area. Considering also that the hours that the gym are open are with the working class (9-5) in mind and therefore do not interfere with the "normal" high traffic times, which in turn, does not congest the roads of the area.

Thank you for your time!
Debra
37865
Debra (37865), August 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM
I was diagnosed with the degenerative neurological disorder of Parkinson's in January 2018. I have been going to KMAA for my workouts, recommended by my neurologists, for 4 years now. I don't believe there is any place on this side of town that meets my needs the way this gym does. I believe this gym would be an asset to others in the area. I hope you see the need to adjust the rezoning.
Mark
37934
8-C-22-RZ
Mark (37934), August 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM
I live in the Saddle Ridge subdivision and the request should be denied based on topography, increased traffic, and proximity to a single-family subdivision resulting in a decrease in value for said homes.
Jesse
37920
Jesse (37920), August 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM
I moved to Knoxville in December with my family and gave up the life we had in Kentucky to make a better life here and one of the biggest draws for us was kmaa. Since we've been here we have been working on integrating ourselves into the community and the staff at kmaa have done a great job of giving us opportunity to succeed on the mats and off the mats.

It's turned from a profession into a family and it is truly a totem of the community and what a person can aspire to be if given the proper tools. Not only are they incredibly important to myself but I know the community appreciates having such a diverse and powerful organization in the area.
Ovince
37924
Ovince (37924), August 9, 2022 at 10:22 AM
My name is Ovince Saint Preux and I've been a student at KMAA since 2005. In the 17 years that I have been training at KMAA I have been able to compete all over the world, in the biggest MMA organization on the planet, the Ultimate Fighting Challenge (UFC). In that time, I have fought 25 times for the UFC, fought for a world title against MMA legend Jon Jones, and been able to travel the world, from Copenhagen to Madison Square Garden, to Toyko, to Singapore and everywhere in between. Large, more established gyms have tried to recruit me during that entire time but the only reason I stayed in Knoxville was because of Coach Turner and KMAA. We have always struggled to have a world-class facility to match our world-class training and that's because Coach always gives back to the community instead of just trying to improve his life or the facility we work out of. I've been able to see first hand how many people live happier, healthier lives because of Coach and I think that the city should reconsider their denial of the rezone so Coach can finally have a facility that matches how elite the training inside is. Whether you're a fighter or just a person looking for a healthier place, KMAA is for you.
Candace
37876
Candace (37876), August 9, 2022 at 10:55 AM
When I became a police officer, I knew I was in a profession where I could potentially be hurt or killed. I am a female of small stature, which was a huge concern for me. A fellow Officer introduced me to Eric and KMAA in 2012. I took some jujitsu classes with him then later started Kickboxing. I stuck with it! I now teach self defense for my department, and continue to improve myself.

Because of KMAA, I am more disciplined and have gained confidence in myself, my skills, and my abilities to perform on the street as a police officer. My size and gender as an officer are no longer a concern. This is a true family with some of the best people you will ever meet. They are loyal, giving, and truly care about the community. They deserve to have a facility to continue to mentor and teach others as they have done for me.
Cynthia
37865
Cynthia (37865), August 9, 2022 at 11:21 AM
This is not just about a gym where people get-together and work out. It is about lives changing for the better. And in order for that to happen, Knoxville Martial Arts Academy (KMAA) needs a specific kind of place with lots of room and specific equipment. KMAA has grown from being in a one car garage to one of the most successful gyms in Tennessee, if not the Southeast! KMAA is also recognized on the national and international stage in the world of MMA. You can Google Ovince St. Preux as an example.

It’s not about just the numbers; it’s about real lives that have been impacted in a very positive way. I also am a testimony of the good that has come from KMAA. Because I had been at KMAA for over 3 years working out on a regular basis, at the age of 71, I was able to donate a kidney to my nephew. Exercise changes people’s lives physically, emotionally, etc. I am just one of many success stories that could be told about KMAA!

The rezoning of this property would allow for a state of the art facility to be built so that more people can be helped. The KMAA facility would only make South Knoxville a better place to live and work. I think that’s obvious by the changes that have already occurred around the Pease Building since KMAA purchased it

So, I plead with you to please reconsider and approve rezoning in order for Knoxville Martial Arts Academy to continue changing lives. Thank you for your time and attention in this matter!
Amanda
37938
Amanda (37938), August 9, 2022 at 3:45 PM
The group of people I work out with is the best! I’m deaf myself and my trainer and some other people learned sign language to communicate with me better. I love working out with them. Definitely will refer others to come workout there. I also took BJJ classes - so much fun!
Timothy
55379
Timothy (55379), August 9, 2022 at 3:57 PM
To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Timothy Hatch and I humbly request the approval of the re-zone request.

My wife Susan and I live in Shakopee, MN. We have known Taylor Turner for 20 years and subsequently her husband, Eric Turner, for the last 11 years. Over that period of time we have not only became members of KMAA, we have forged so many new, wonderful relationships within KMAA, that we have decided to permanently relocate to Knoxville.

Not only will we be moving to Knoxville, but we also plan on moving our business, Four Paws Inc. DBA, Fancy Paws Pet Salon, into KMAA’s new proposed building. Our grooming business has been named the areas "Best In Grooming" for the last 9 straight years. My wife, Susan, is one off the best groomers in the world. She has been a multiple time member of Groom Team USA, an honor reserved for the top 10 competitive groomers in the United Stares. Her grooming accomplishments are too numerous to list in this format. But, I’m sure the dog lovers of the Knoxville area would enjoy access to our grooming services.

Along with our running our business, I also plan on working with KMAA on adding a boxing program, to further expand the already wide array of combat sports and fitness opportunities and to share my 25 years of boxing knowledge. Thank you for your time.

Regards,