June 9, 2022

see attached
View Attachment
Kristy
37921
6-H-22-RZ
Kristy (37921), May 12, 2022 at 2:02 PM
We have lived on Barnard Rd for almost 20 years. We have purchased 3 different properties on Barnard and two of three properties have a single dwelling house on the property and a single dwelling home will be built on the third property in the near future. When we built our first home and moved to Barnard, this county road had very little traffic. We had 15 acres and we were only allowed to build one house. Over the years Barnard Road has become a "cut through" road causing increased traffic. This is a major impact to those living on Barnard. The end of Barnard road is in the city and they have widened the road in the city but not in the county. All of those people living in those apartments use Barnard road to get to Ball Camp Pike. If this property gets rezoned, and has multiple residential apartments built, the traffic on Barnard Road will increase significantly. A car and a Truck cannot move through Barnard without one pulling over. Barnard road is far too narrow for the traffic we have now, therefore we do not support the rezoning of this property. The risk to drivers and residents is already high and additional traffic will only increase this risk.
S D (37920), April 12, 2022 at 10:14 PM
I OPPOSE the rezoning of Giffin school property! Our neighborhood cannot absorb the impact of 100+ new families in this space. Low income housing brings many problems to any neighborhood. We have many low income housing units on this side of Chapman Hwy. We have Southmont, Stonewall, Young High Flats, Southside Flats and many voucher houses! We have enough! Senior housing sounds nice but the working family housing is the issue!!
Billie
Billie (37920), April 11, 2022 at 2:59 AM
I have lived in this community for 48 years. I do not want to see housing projects go up in the old Giffin Elementary School. I live on the dead-end at the bottom of hill I do not want to have to drive thru the projects every time I come and go from my home. My main concern is my children and grandchildren I don't want them to have to pass thru to ride there bikes or catch a school bus. This is the most craziest thing I've heard I lived thru the change when they built the new bridge and re-done our community then. We definitely don't need these apartments in our community we have a very nice quiet community with alot of elderly people this will be a very very bad thing. I would rather see a community center, assistant living, something for the children not apartments that are gonna cause harm and I'm sure drug use in our community I Vote NO!!!! Don't take what little we have left and make it into projects. Things are just starting to look up around here and as a 48 year Home Owner our value of our properties have just started to rise with the new bike park and all the new Sevier Ave developments. I think this needs to be revised and thought about really hard and also when our property value starts to go down hill whom ever the ideal plan of this needs to buy us out at the top dollar I think the ones that live right there and will have to see these projects every time they leave inside there home we should have the say and the final vote.
Ben (37920), April 9, 2022 at 1:05 PM
Please see attached for my comments.
View Attachment
Gregory
Gregory (37920), April 9, 2022 at 6:59 AM
We need workforce housing in this area, which is close to businesses and to downtown Knoxville. If you look over the traffic study, adding 946 vehicle trips per 24 hour period is next to nothing and will not change traffic on any local roads or on Chapman Highway. In the traffic study, even at peak morning and afternoon times, there are only 53 trips during the AM peak hour and 76 trips during the PM peak hour. Surely the area roads can handle that small increase in vehicle trips without causing any issues while giving South Knoxville 99 units of extra, much-needed housing and tax revenue for the city. The old school has been vacant and neglected for decades now and new housing would be a perfect fix to this historic building. There does need to be adequate parking for residents and guests, so there is no overflow parking on area streets. It also must be proven that construction will not cause water drainage issues in the surrounding homes and that there should also be as many trees saved and not cut down as possible. In order to make all this work, a retention pond may be needed and the project may have to be reduced in size and scope by maybe eliminating one of the proposed buildings. Also, if the developer is promising anything to the community, like a community center or anything for community use, then it MUST be required that the builder follow through and complete everything as promised.
Emily
37865
Emily (37865), April 9, 2022 at 12:38 AM
On behalf of Knoxville, this would be its downfall. If you choose to place subsidized housing you’re going to hurt it’s charm and market appeal, especially now when so many people are relocating to South Knoxville. The equity will vanish! This is a terrible terrible idea! This isn’t a low income area, we have Island Home less than a mile down the road. This makes no sense! Not to mention what it does to the safety standards! Weren’t we looking to bring better business to the area? Grow the area so that we bring in more money?? There’s a better plan for this school, one that brings money in instead of the former.
Stephanie
920
Stephanie (920), April 8, 2022 at 1:53 PM
I have lived in this neighborhood for 13 years, raised my children here. Now I have my two year old granddaughter I would love to raise on beech street also, however I have great concerns about low income apartments in our quiet neighborhood. I am concerned it will increase the crime rate in our area. I am concerned it will depreciate the value of my home, our homes. I wish the property could remain untouched because of the protected animals in that area. I would so prefer section 8 houses, single family homes because it will fit with the surrounding structures adding value to the neighborhood. Please remember so many families have homes here, and they bought these homes for the security and protection it gives to our families. Please don’t create anything to take away from what we have worked so hard to have. I understand helping needy families, however do it for the benefit of both, future residents as well as current residents,
Janie
Janie (37920), April 8, 2022 at 9:49 AM
I am in opposition to this development of a 99 unit going into this neighborhood. Overcrowding this small neighborhood and traffic issues are of great concern to me.
Brian
Brian (37920), April 8, 2022 at 9:01 AM
I am here against the proposal to add a 99 unit complex to our small residential neighborhood of South Haven. Beech Street and the adjoining roads are no place for such traffic. Crime has been on the increase in our neighborhood and more then doubling the population would significantly add to the problem putting our neighbors in danger. I do not know exact numbers but in the last year alone there have been ridiculous numbers of apartments, subdivision, dwellings proposed and approved for the South Knoxville area when nothing is being done about Chapman Highway other then the obvious band-Aids here and there. As I am typing this Chapman and Young High pike are shut down to a possible fatal accident. This is an everyday occurrence and adding people by the 100’s -1000’s a year needs to stop until our families can travel safely to the grocery store. This proposal should need to scale down tremendously to be approved.
Rosie
37917
Rosie (37917), April 8, 2022 at 7:41 AM
This is a huge need in our community. I support this project and its proposed location.
Heather
Heather (37920), April 7, 2022 at 7:54 PM
As a former Giffin student and long-time resident of South Knoxville, I support this project. With all due respect to neighbors' concerns, I don't think these problems are unsolvable. Please read my attached PDF for more detail. Thank you.
View Attachment
Bob (37920), April 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM
My request is for My City is to Not build this LOW RENT Living ln this Area .(1)is because of traffic .(2) is because of the clients that will becoming and @all hours of the .(3) Is that ,The South end has given more Than any other part of City.(4) If you Just look @ what has happened on Chapman Hwy. Just in the last 3 years

People it’s TIME To VOTE, get some people out of Office!

Sarah
Sarah (37920), April 7, 2022 at 3:30 PM
Hello. I have major concerns about this structure. A sad truth of subsidized housing is it often brings crime to the area. As a single woman this is concerning. The infrastructure in this area is unable to support more people, everything is is packed as it is. This location is not the best place for new subsidized housing, especially not as many units as the plan proposes.
John
John (37920), April 7, 2022 at 3:22 PM
Im opposed to this rezoning,I don't want our neighbor changed into a busy traffic in the neighborhood,its always been a quiet area,I oppose this all together.
Kendall
Kendall (37920), April 7, 2022 at 2:26 PM
This will take so much away from a beautiful neighborhood. Repurposing the school I think would be a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. We don’t need more units beyond that in our little community.
Nathan
Nathan (37920), April 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM
The ordinances governing planned developments state (section 16.7) that they "should ONLY be applied to further those applications that provide compensating amenities and benefits to the City AND neighborhood." (emphases mine). The MOST important component of the neighborhood to consider is the surrounding neighborhood - those neighbors directly impacted by the proposed development. This proposal does NOT benefit the surrounding neighborhood and is therefore disqualified from the zoning exemptions requested under Planned Development. The current "Historic Giffin Square" proposal will NEGATIVELY impact both property values and quality of life for people in the surrounding neighborhood, for the following reasons:
1) the scale is too large,

2) it effectively eliminates the positives Giffin School brings to the neighborhood, and

3) the type of use is inappropriate for the location.

If preserving the historic school building is a +1 for the neighborhood, the combined effects of problems 1-3 above are at least a -10. That is, whatever good this development might bring to the neighborhood is vastly diminished by the negative impacts it will have. In the attached PDF I detail my reasoning for the above comments.

View Attachment
Catherine
37919
Catherine (37919), April 7, 2022 at 11:51 AM
I am writing in support of the affordable housing project proposed for the former Giffin School in south Knoxville. Knoxville and Knox County should do everything possible to help our citizens find decent places to live. You shouldn't have to be rich to afford housing.
Tyler
37912
Tyler (37912), April 7, 2022 at 9:43 AM
I SUPPORT this development because it includes 99 units of subsidized housing.
Edward
Edward (37920), April 6, 2022 at 7:01 PM
My grandparents, my parents as well as myself have lived in the South Knoxville & South Haven community for over 100 years. I myself went to Giffin Elementary school. I would like to see the school be revitalized into something that will help our community & help our property values continue to increase but not section 8 or low income housing put into our community. With Ijams Nature Center expanding & Bakers Creek being developed & the Greenways, our property values have started to increase. Traffic has gotten more congested with people coming from all over to these areas & will only get worse with 99 more apartments added on Beech Street. The City of Knoxville can not keep up with the maintanence on the roads in the area now. The roads have a lot of uneveness & pot holes & these too will get worse with the added daily trips from the 99 apartments being added. One has to also realize that the exit from Beech Street onto Lenland Ave is a right turn ONLY. The left turn is a dead end. Lenland & South Haven it is a blind intersection & there will be in increase of accidents because it is bad enough now with the traffic that we have. Why crame 99 more apartments in the middle of a small neighborhood community? It is a shame that an out of town delveloper can come into our neighborhood with low income/section 8 housing & force this upon our community. Please VOTE NO on the rezoning!
Jess
Jess (37920), April 6, 2022 at 6:28 PM
I oppose this rezoning. The proposed use of the 6.3 acres and forested hillside is extremely out of character for our neighborhood. South Knoxville is known for it's natural landscapes and this rezoning would destroy one of South Haven neighborhood's forested areas. We have coyotes, salamanders, amazing hawks and other birds - it is truly a haven not just for the residents but also for the wildlife. Erecting 5 additional buildings on this property is out of character for the area and would create towering buildings along a steep hillside that should remain forested. I actually would like to know if a hillside protection overlay would be appropriate, given the grade of the hillside. I am absolutely in favor of an appropriate use for the historic school itself. The original plan for an assisted living facility would have given residents beautiful trees and birds to watch out their windows and contributed minimal traffic, noise pollution, light pollution, and potential crime on our community. There are many many other options for re-use of the facility and I will enthusiastically support rezoning, if necessary, for plans that fit within our neighborhood. It is the duty of the MPC and City Council to ensure that zoning changes and development are beneficial to our community. Neither the use case nor the scale of this proposal are beneficial.
Kara
Kara (37920), April 6, 2022 at 4:34 PM
This project proposes too much dwelling density. The proposed area is tucked inside a quiet neighborhood, with a park and a stream running though it. These plans would take down many of the very large trees along this area. I would love to see this space converted into condos or mixed income housing at way less capacity.
Cara
Cara (37920), April 6, 2022 at 1:06 PM
We started the process of remodeling the old eyesore on the corner. It was literally the worst home in the area. So many of our neighbors have put in so much time and effort to reestablish the small area. I have been here for three years and not one summer have I been able to sit on my back porch for dinner/bbq. Our sewer system is disgusting. The smell is embarrassing when having company. A study showed sewage in the creek. It’s been three years and the city/KUB can’t control this situation. How could the sewer handle adding 93 units and the additional construction on that slope? It will be devastating to our creek and it’s wildlife. That wooded area has become a bird sanctuary and what little wildlife left in South Haven will be gone. Not to mention the creek has been known to hold the endangered Berry Cave Salamander. Our tiny roads are already over traveled and we just finally got speed bumps In an attempt to help with that issue. Some homes barely have yards already and taking more for sidewalks would not be fair to those home owners. The neighborhood could not sustain such an increase in population. The school is a staple for our community and tho we know it needs to be used for something, having it surrounded with concrete buildings will not do it justice as a historic building. I wish to deny the application.
Cara
3792
Cara ( 3792), April 6, 2022 at 1:04 PM
My concern to this request is to the deterioration of our neighborhood. My husband and I relocated to the area in 2019. I am originally from South Knoxville and moved back after 25 years in the fountain city area. Our current home on McClung has been in our family since 1952, so I have been a part of the community all of my life. The upcoming of the community is what brought us back. Homes were being remodeled and brought back to life. The parks and trails were opening up and to us the South Haven area had once again started to look like home.
Katherine
Katherine (37920), April 5, 2022 at 11:10 PM
Let me start out by saying that I am all for the revitalization of the old Giffin Elementary School. The building needs to be utilized. The concern that I have, along with many others, regarding the development of (4-A-22-PD) 99 apartments being built on Beech Street are the additional cars/traffic. More traffic has been added in the past several years because of Ijams Nature Center & Bakers Creek development. These apartments would add to this congestion along with more speeding on South Haven. The roads in the South Haven community are not as maintained as they should be. The roads around the development (McClung Ave., South Haven, Beech Street, Lenland Ave) are narrow, uneven in many areas and have numerous potholes. This will also get worse with the added traffic. A person also has to be concerned about additional crime coming into our area with so many new people. South Knoxville has had 2 new low income/section 8 apartment complexes added with in 2 miles of Beech Street in the past couple of years already. PLEASE DO NOT allow this to happen. Help us keep our quaint neighborhood.
Patsy
Patsy (37920), April 5, 2022 at 9:42 PM
Revitalize Historical Giffin Elementary School. In the past several years it had been discussed of it becoming an assisted living. Could that not be revisited? South Knoxville has numerous low income/section 8 apartments. We just recently had 2 more low income/section 8 apartment complexes built with in 2 miles of this suggested development. Please Vote NO on the rezoning!
Stephanie
Stephanie (37920), April 5, 2022 at 3:41 PM
I live at 1829 Beech Street and have for 13 years.  I love our neighborhood, and have great concerns regarding turning said property into low income apartments.  Beech Street is narrow, and cannot accommodate the homeowners who currently reside on that street.  I worry about the property values of the homes that so many people have worked so hard to keep.  I worry about increased crime in our area, and what it will expose our children to.  I do not have a problem with families in need of a home, however, please consider section 8 houses as opposed to low income apartments.  The houses will at least fit into the neighborhood, there will only be a need for driveways as opposed to 199 parking spaces.  Please at least take into consideration allowing section 8 houses in our area, as any change will be an adjustment for those of us who have lived in the neighborhood for so long.
Loney
Loney (37920), April 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM
The proposed building of these apartment will greatly impact our community by way of traffic, overcrowding schools, and most importantly homeowners will sale and move away. We take great pride in our neighborhood and do agree with the redevelopment of the existing structure. Please do not allow this rezoning!
Astrid
Astrid (37920), April 1, 2022 at 7:39 AM
(second part) His current proposal will completely alter the dynamic of our neighborhood. COMPLETLY. Not to mention the amount of green space negatively impacted, the whole reason for our urban wilderness initiative, along with the wildlife. I wholeheartedly agree the building cannot remain abandoned and am 1000% for using the EXHISTING structure for some sort of living space but believe mid to high end condominiums to be a better option/fit by only utilizing the current structure. When meeting with Mr Cockrill he made it a point that he 'does not need to do this, he enjoys rehabilitating historic buildings' . If that is truly the case there should be no questions as to what would work for both the developer and the neighborhood. This neighborhood CANNOT absorb this type of development. PLEASE do not allow this rezoning to take place. You will loose the whole purpose of trying to flip this area of town. A number of neighbors including myself have already started to consider leaving the neighborhood if this 'development' goes through.
Astrid
Astrid (37920), April 1, 2022 at 7:39 AM
My PDF won't post so I will upload multiple comments here. I honestly am not sure where to even begin. I purchased my 102 year old home on McClung in 2020. I exclusively looked in this area to buy my first home because I wanted to be part of the rejuvenation and revitalization of the South Knoxville. The neighborhood and roads are very closely stitched together so when I was made aware by a fellow neighbor of Mr Cockrill's plan to put in 99 more residential dwellings I was shocked. My shock then quickly turned to concern as these plans included raising three/four additional buildings on the small sight along with 130 parking spaces? We are a small family neighborhood and the current infrastructure is not capable of handling that many more individuals. We have existing sewage and flooding issues that are not being addressed and the electrical grid goes out pretty regularly. More concerning to me as those issues 'can' be fixed is the amount of people he is proposing be relocated to this dense area.
Sonia
Sonia (37920), March 31, 2022 at 7:41 PM
It breaks my heart to see what happened in Nashville happening in Knoxville. There is no way they’re is enough room while maintaining the I integrity of the community infrastructure. We’d love to stay and support this community but if these projects continue their is no way we will.
Astrid
Astrid (37920), March 31, 2022 at 4:18 PM
please see PDF
View Attachment
William
William (37920), March 30, 2022 at 6:45 PM
The building of these apartment houses is raising a great deal of concern amongst our South Haven community. This part of South Knoxville is already a heavily crowded part of town, and these apartments will add to the issue tenfold. One has to worry about the consequences that will be had for traffic in the town on the already busy and narrow streets. Property values are also expected to plummet. While the old school should be repurposed, the effects of such a large income of people into the community is very worrisome.
William
William (37920), March 30, 2022 at 5:06 PM
The people of this community are tired of these structures getting closer and closer to looking in our own window. This community has just welcomed 2 new apartment complexes to our area. These roads are bad enough already. This neighborhood doesn't ask for much and we don't get much. We are fine with that. I will undoubtedly loose neighbors if this monstrosity is constructed. Please leave the to zoning as is.